Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msi P6n Sli Platinum, Problems With 4 Sticks Of Ram

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GiddyGeek

GiddyGeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

I Have:
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum motherboard, BIOS version 1.4.
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor, G0 stepping.
Video: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express X16
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W.

My problem is that I have to clock down the speed of the RAM to 700Mhz for the pc to even boot. At the the listed speed of 800Mhz, I will start
the PC up and it will POST and everything looks fine. After POST however, the screen goes black, except for a cursor in the upper right hand
side of the screen, and then nothing else happens. When I change it to 700Mhz or lower the PC boots fine. Also if I remove 4GB, it will boot
with no problems.

I emailed G Skill support and received this reply:
It is because most of 680i or 650i chipset has problem to run 4 sticks of memory. when you have 4 sticks of memory on those nvidia chipset, it
will not operate at DDR2 800. You need to either run two sticks or lower to DDR2 667. This is been confirmed by many motherboard designer
I emailed MSI support and haven't received any reply yet.

The research that I've done so far has indicated that I should increase the voltage but for some reason the BIOS won't allow me to do that. My
BIOS isn't the latest (1.4), there is one more I could flash (1.5) to but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

This is not uncommon and even a number of Intel chipsets have the same issue. It has to do with the FSB an memory controller
embedded in the chipset. I have Seen a few workarounds from timing and voltage changes, but these result in Unstable Systems.

You could end up killing the ram and/or the motherboard and CPU.

single 4gb Sticks do not have this issue on the same chipsets. Sometimes I have seen reliability when running a 64 bit OS on a
motherboard that supports ACPI 2 which includes RSDT that can manage power requirements better on a 64bit system and thus
eliminate or reduce issues of 2gb sticks running on a chipset with limited support.

You Are running a 64 bit OS are you not? I would hope so since 4 gb is it in XP and Vista 32 bit of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users