Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Repair Quesiton =d

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IcedOut3

IcedOut3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Just have a quick question; what was that command you would type in RUN so that it would replace all the system files and would ask for your WIndows XP CD? Like it does a quick repair and makes sure all the important files are intact and in place :thumbsup: Thanks :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

What you are looking for is the system file checker command. Take a look at these two links: Guide to Windows XP Recovery Features and How to use the scannow sfc tool in Windows XP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thank you AnImALL =D 'sfc/ scannow' thats it

Just got another issue; might ask here cause it would be a waste opening a new topic.

Everytime I boot my computer "CHKDSK" runs with the blue screen and it checks my "D" Drive (this is my slave drive) and does it every boot up, and now its getting annoying, I looked around system settings but found nothing relative to this; no errors or anything and I properly shutdown my computer all the time :S

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

It's possible that the drive is damaged or corrupt. Go to the drive's mfg's support site and download their diagnostic utility and run it and see if anything shows up
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thanks garmanma, but is this my HDD : "Intel 8280 1EB Ultra ATA Storage" I found that under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" if thats the one; intel doesn't have any support for that O.o

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

There are several ways to determine what you have , the easiest is to take off the side and look. I suggest downloading SIW. A handy tool, useful in many ways. You should have it installed anyways. It will tell you what brand.
Western Digital
Samsung
Maxtor/Seagate
are the most common
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 January 2008 - 09:57 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

As for the chkdsk command starting there is a registry fix for it. It was originally written for Windows 2000, but according to a trusted source I have used before, they tell me it will work for XP just as well. I have confirmed that fact. Remember!! This is a Registry Fix. BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY If You try it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Product=win2000

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Thanks animal =D worked like a charm

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

You are quite welcome. Thank you for letting us know it was succesful. :thumbsup:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Sorry to bring this up again, but its better than starting a new topic

i added the command "sfc /SCANBOOT" hoping to get a scan up on startup worked fine, but now I get it every single time i restart my computer! is there anyway i can negate "/SCANBOOT"

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

To turn it off in a command prompt type sfc /revert

Edited by Monty007, 25 January 2008 - 09:11 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#12 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

Thanks Monty worked perfectly too =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic