Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

Well, I'm coming out of the Dark Ages and getting a 200G drive, an external enclosure, and a copy of Acronis. My intentions are to back up my 4 computers plus I have a wife, 2 daughters (with new grandkids) with 3 cameras. :thumbsup:
Does each computer that I ghost need to be on it's own partition? I'm kind of figuring 20G for each OS backup (too much?)Each computer's used space is about 8G. Maybe I should just set the 4 partitions for that size? Dumb questions, I know. I just don't want to run into problems further down the road
Thanks Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hi, Mark :huh:.

I was surprised that this is coming from you...

I use the 2002 version of Powerquest Drive Image but I'm pretty sure they all work the same.

All you really need to do is make sure that whatever drive/partition you want to capture your backups to...has sufficient room. The files will be compressed when made and you should be able to determine how much compression (or if you want uncompressed backups). I use 50% compression on mine.

Once the backup is made for a given system, you just throw the files (DI has a 2GB file limit, so it splits an 8GB backup into 4 files) into a folder, label them, and store them.

I used to keep multiple backups on hand, but it seems to depend on my mood when I backup now :thumbsup:.

The cameras are easy...attach and the Scanner/Camera Wizard should activate and provide options. If not, just go through Control Panel\Printers & Other Hardware\Scanners & Cameras...click Add An Imaging Device at the left side of the screen.

I've wanted to buy Acronis for several years now, but Drive Image just keeps rolling on and that's OK.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hi, Mark :huh:.
I was surprised that this is coming from you...

Things happen, money's tight, other stuff to do, and the list goes on and on :thumbsup: All machines have second HD's for documents and pics. I wanted something extra where I can load it up, unplugged and put it up until needed.I came into a little year-end windfall and I'm jazzing up all the units, fixing batt. backups and stuff. Like my personal statement suggests, I'm good at giving info, I just got to learn to listen to it :huh:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users