Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Universal Serial Bus Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PanicButton

PanicButton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am hopping someone in the forum could shed some light in the problem I am experiencing. I have been researching on this issues for a couple weeks now without luck.

Basically, I lost all USB ports after a power outage. I have already tried the following options:

1 - Repair install
2 - BIOS update
3 - de-install/re-install USB via device manager

I have a WIndows XP Media Edition. The manufacturer of this box provides a DVD, however it has a destructive recovery process, which means I will need to re-install everything. (I have no restore or backups... don't say it... :flowers: )
)
I did the recover on a small HD and USB worked, so it's a software issue not a hardware one. Does anyone know of a utility or documentation explaining how I can copy the settings (files, registry or else) from this working install (small hd) to my original one? I read about Windiff, but not being a "geek", I was overwhelmed by the process. Also looked into migration wizard tool, but it seems it will not solve my issue, since it really takes care of certain settings but not the configuration ones (related to USB drivers).

Any suggestions are welcomed and I promise to publishe results here to help anyone in the same boat.

Cheers,

PB :thumbsup:

{Moved to more appropriate Forum~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 16 January 2008 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Try downloading everest to see what it says under 'hardware information.'

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

on the working hard drive, look in device manager and copy the files associated with usb hubs and controllers

pretty sure you will have to register them to get the registry entries written

I would back up everything and do a clean install on a partitioned hard drive myself
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

I have to agree with Chewy, in theory.

If the ports are not working (but you think they can function properly), uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them...should have solved it.

The next step for me...would be to insert a PCI USB 2.0 card. If that failed, I guess I would just do without USB and work around much of that by maximizing my use of my home network.

Louis

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Basically, I lost all USB ports after a power outage.

I did the recover on a small HD and USB worked

must have been a voltage surge, wonder what else got hosed?????
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

This may be a stupid suggestion , but have you gone to control panel/system/hardware to see what that says? any question mark there right click/properties/update driver.

Edited by Pippincp, 16 January 2008 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users