Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agp Graphics Card Help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Genius GZA

Genius GZA

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hello, I am new here. I heard about this site when I was looking through Newegg... I bought my computer off a friend for about $300 a year back after he built a new one. I don't have the money right now to build a computer myself so I have to use this crap Dell Dimension 8300 for the time being. I would like to upgrade my graphics card but I am limited to only AGP cards because of the motherboard and apparently only cards that can run off of a 250W power supply. I have heard that it is not possible (or very difficult) to change the power supplies in Dells so I am kind of screwed here. The suggestions on the Dell website for this particular model are crap also because the cards will not fit and need a larger power supply. Can anyone help me find the best AGP card out there that will run off of a 250W power supply or any other suggestions? THANKS.

Dell Dimension 8300, XP SP2, Pentium 4 2.80, 1 gig of RAM, ATI Radeon 9600

Here is a pic of my power supply in case I'm wrong here...
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...?CatId=318&

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ame=AGP+4X%2f8X

Best...for what? What do you expect this card to do?

As for 250W power supplies, that's old news. Dell and other boxmakers have historically always provided much weaker power supplies than a user would provided on her/his own. But they seem to do the job often, so I would not concern myself with that on a Dell system. In any case, the wattage of the PS does not correlate significantly to whatever card the motherboard/system accomodates, IMO.

The real question is: Do you have an AGP slot on that system? If yes, I would not see a problem with installing an AGP card, based on projected normal use.

This might help someone to help you: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...hov.htm#1102452

Louis

#3 Genius GZA

Genius GZA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help Louis...My system does have an AGP slot, my current card is an ATI Radeon 9600 AGP. I am looking for the best card to play newer games on and I think this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133176 may be the best for the games I would like to run on my system. Am I correct? My main concern is that the card will require a larger power supply and my system will be fried. Is my 250W supply going to underpower this card and destroy my system??

Pic of my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP (correct?)
Posted Image

Pic of what I believe to be the AGP slot...
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

You need the expertise of someone who games and is a lot more knowledgeable about such than I :thumbsup:.

Hold tight until someone else responds with more clarity.

Louis

#5 thefreak0naleash

thefreak0naleash

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

That really depends on what kind of card you get,if it supports an extra power supply off of the board somewhere(usually by using a 2 prong jumper,most cards are supplied with one)It depends on what game(s) you want to use on your system.I will tell you though upgrading the power supply wouldn't hurt,at least to 400 watts if not higher,your higher end video cards will draw alot of power to supply your display with the rendering the game requires.An example is Halo vs Diablo II,in Diablo 2,I wasn't required to have anything extra,my standard XPS package could handle it no problem.However when I installed Halo,it told me I needed to have a card that supported T&L (transform & Lighting) 3D rendering for shadowing,depth,and perception.So it really depends on what games you plan on using on your system for what you'll need to install into your system.I stopped buying stuff for the computer,it got too costly everytime a new game came out,so instead I purchased and xbox 360 Elite,I get all my upgrades through them,funny it costs about the same as an off the shelf computer system,without a monitor of course.I like both NVidia and ATI but it really depends on the game. Try here to see what's available and best suits your needs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...?CatId=318&

Edited by thefreak0naleash, 16 January 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Most newer Dell computers use the ATX form factor for their power supplies. From looking at the case it looks like a standard tower you should be able to upgrade the power supply. We will need the Dell service ID tag off the back of the computer to confirm what your motherboard supports and to further look into the power supply. The sticker is white with a bar code above it.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 16 January 2008 - 07:50 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Genius GZA

Genius GZA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help..A couple hours ago I went ahead and bought a new graphics card at Best Buy. I bought a PNY Geforce 7600 GS AGP card and am using it right now. The card install was very quick and I am using all the current drivers, everything seems to work fine so far. The side of the box of this card lists a minimum of 300w psu whereas I have a 250w supply. I tested the card out with Half Life 2 Deathmatch and it looked great on high settings. Is this a bad idea?. I am still interested in upgrading my power supply just in case of the chance something could happen. What should I do?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

I just worked on 2 older dells with that style case, it takes a standard atx power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

this would more than do the job, I have bought 4 of them over the last few years, handle 2 hard drives, 2 dvd burners and decent agp cards like the 7600
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Genius GZA

Genius GZA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I just worked on 2 older dells with that style case, it takes a standard atx power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

this would more than do the job, I have bought 4 of them over the last few years, handle 2 hard drives, 2 dvd burners and decent agp cards like the 7600

Will any Standard ATX power supply fit in my case then if I were to go out and buy one??

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

most of the better ones will stick out a little more to the front, a tape measure will be a good tool to use

make sure you get a good premium 300 watt one at least

avoid even a cheap 400-450 watt power supply, your original 250 is probably better

dell uses good power supplies, I hardly ever run into ones that die

Edited by DaChew, 17 January 2008 - 08:00 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

I agree with Chewy. Dell does use a pretty good power supply, although sometimes underpowered.
I rarely have to replace them. Maybe one or two a year.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 Genius GZA

Genius GZA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Thank you all for the help. I think my problem seems to be resolved, THANKS AGAIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users