Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run System File Checker

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jstarck

jstarck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Well it all started with a trojan Virus. AOL antivirus didn't catch it so I installed norton anti virus 2008 and got rid of virus. Started having problems with scansoft PDF Converter Professional. Tried to uninstall and received error 1721. I then went to Microsoft web site and received instructions to repair. I ran the register the windows installer service, Then ran system file checker. File checker has you purgecache. No problem but then it has you run sfc /scannow. This gets 90% of the way through and asks you to put in Windows XP Pro disk 2 for the needed DLL files. Here in lies the problem. I have a Compaq Presario SR2050NX that came with no back-up CD's. It has a partitioned hard drive that allows you to make recovery cd's. They don't work as XP pro disk 2. How do I repair my XP without starting over??? Help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You! Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Welcome to BC
SFC without xp disk

To fix the problem when you only have a restore CD you'll have to search for a folder on your hard drive (or on the restore CD) that's named "i386" (without the quotes). Once you find that, copy it to your hard drive at the root (C:\i386). Make sure that the directory is located at the root of your C: drive (C:\i386) - if not, then you'll need to change the path to the proper entry in the registry edit.

Then perform this registry edit to point SFC.EXE at it:
So, the first step is to backup your registry. The easy way to do this is to set a System Restore point ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx )

Next, go to Start...Run...and type in "regedit.exe" (without the quotes) and press enter. You'll see a folder-like view on the left, and entries on the right.

Navigate down the folder view on the left to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup Just click on the + sign to expand the view of the next level - so, to start, you'll click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look for the SOFTWARE entry.

Then you'll click on the + next to SOFTWARE and look for Microsoft, and so on (through the Windows and CurrentVersion keys) until you get to the Setup key. Then just click once on the Setup key.

Look in the right hand pane and double click on the entry that says "SourcePath".
In the box that pops up, type in "C:\" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then close regedit and reboot your computer. SFC.EXE /SCANNOW should now run without problems for you.

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users