Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp External Files Are "read Only" In Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hubby just got a shiny new computer, running Vista Home Premium - so far so good. His previous files were run in XP Home and saved on an external HDD using Office 2000. He uses the external drive in preference to saving to CD or DVD. The new computer has Works 8.5 loaded which didn't recognise the files saved in Office, so he installed Office 2000 as well. The problem arose when he tried to save work from the external HDD using Office 2000 in Vista. These files are all now "read only" and although it should be a simple matter to overcome, he cannot, nor can I. Logic tells us that the problem arose only because Vista is now the operating system as there was no problen with XP.

Could anyone out there offer any solutions please? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Whisperwolf

Whisperwolf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

This may be the wierdest idea you get, but please bear with me.

Go into control panel and create a new user. Log out of Vista, and log in as the new user. Load office and see if you still get the issue.

I've encountered this a couple of times and it's always in the OEM version of Vista that comes pre-loaded on new machines. It happens on my HP Pavilion laptop too - in order for the manufacturer to circumvent certain blocks Vista puts in place, the default profile created when you first start up a new machines can sometimes have a really weird set of permissions - sometimes older programs can get access denied errors for the strangest reasons.

Creating a new user profile uses the default ruleset Microsoft provides for Vista, and doesn't make a profile that may have the same limitations as your OEM manufacturer might use on their own default account. Where permissions are involved, this shouldn't work - but often does.

Let me know if it works in this instance.

#3 bjouana

bjouana

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

Strange thing really. It happened to me too...

The problem is that the user profiles are those from a domain. I cannot go and create new users just like that for a domain account.

Any ideas on a way around it?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:52 AM

Office 2000 is supported in Vista ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932087 ) but since it's in Extended Support there won't be fixes released for issues that may crop up.

What sort of problem is there with converting the files from read-only? Are there any error messages?

bjouana - Please start another topic with your issue. Domain issues are very different and much more complicated than those with computers that aren't connected to a domain.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users