Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Api's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NicolaReece

NicolaReece

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi All - Pondered for a while about where to put this, decided here was the best place. Bet i'm wrong though :thumbsup:

Anyway - could someone explain to me what i do with this...

https://api.betfair.com/exchange/v3/BFExchangeService.wsdl

The above link is cited by betfair as follows:

"The Free Access API is immediately available to anyone with an active Betfair account - there is no need to sign up or have your account 'permissioned'. You're ready to to start developing - all you'll need to know is the following:

# The Free Access productId, which is "82" - you'll use this along with your Betfair credentials in the Login protocol.
# The Betfair API WSDL URL's:

I've downloaded the SOAP toolkit V3 as directed but the whole thing is totally baffling with little (none) in the way of supporting material

Could someone help - i've looked around for some advice on the net, but all of the pitstops i've checked assume some degree of knowledge

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

An API is the Programming Interface documentation. One uses the documentation to determine how to use libraries written by other people. Using an API assumes that you programming some sort of application that is going to use their library. What is it you are trying to do?

#3 NicolaReece

NicolaReece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi

You've heard of betfair? - it's gambling website that basically allows you to 'trade' on various sporting events. I was made aware of this website a yaer or so ago, and have been taking a look at the market patterns on a part time basis ever since

My day job has nothing to do with betting, but it has got everything to do with market analysis - so for the past 6 months i've been putting together a range of market triggers where i would want to put bets into the market

I'm willing to put the effort in myself - the problem is, i really don't know where to start

You see the example script that the link points to... where does that go? If i knew that, at least i'd have a starting point that i could tinker with

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Have you ever done any programming at all? That needs to be established first.

#5 NicolaReece

NicolaReece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

Some VB years and years ago (1990 something, i think i was using v5) - not much, I've written some basic programs but nothing too complicated

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

Some VB years and years ago (1990 something, i think i was using v5)

1990 that would be VB1. 1991 - VB2, 1993 - VB3, 1994 - VB4, 1997 - VB5, 1998 - VB6. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

The information that you are going to need is here:
http://www.w3schools.com/wsdl/default.asp

If I had a need to use wsdl, I would be starting here. Your question isn't one that can really be answered in anything but general terms, unless there is someone here that is familiar with soap and wsdl.

#8 NicolaReece

NicolaReece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

The information that you are going to need is here:
http://www.w3schools.com/wsdl/default.asp

If I had a need to use wsdl, I would be starting here. Your question isn't one that can really be answered in anything but general terms, unless there is someone here that is familiar with soap and wsdl.

Thanks for your time groovicus - we'll have a look at that and hopefully get to step two from there.

Some VB years and years ago (1990 something, i think i was using v5)

1990 that would be VB1. 1991 - VB2, 1993 - VB3, 1994 - VB4, 1997 - VB5, 1998 - VB6. :flowers:

"1990 something" - maybe i should have typed 199* lol :thumbsup:

Clever ish answer though Kieth - nice one. If your dates are right, i was correct in thinking it was VB 5

I won't waste anymore of your time on here - thanks for your help

Nicky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users