Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing Problem When There's No Display

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Palmer

Palmer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hi. This is my first post and I'm hoping for some help with a difficult problem. I've got a Gateway GT5622 with video that (I believe) is controlled by an on-board Intel chipset. The computer is only about a month old with VISTA OS. The video has always been glitchy, and the screen would momentarily go blank, then come back on with the message "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered". I downloaded an update for the chipset that I thought might help the problem, but it only got worse, and the length of time between the blank screens grew shorter, while the length of time that the screen was blank grew longer. I'm now to the point where the screen stays blank (black, not blue) almost always. When I reboot, I can't even get to the menu before I loose video. I've tried starting in safe mode, but the video still dies. I can't get to a restore point because I lose the video before I can get a menu.

Would installing a video card help? How could I get the drivers installed?

Is there some way to use my laptop to control the Gateway so I can see what I'm doing?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

Since it's a new system, I would call Gateway support first...and let them tell you how to proceed.

The fact that it's onboard video makes that the obvious next step, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users