Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hello!

I am very basic in knowledge with music on the computer, files, etc. I know how to rip and burn. Do all files that I rip to Windows become .wma or are they .mp3? I assume they are .wma. I am in process of putting all cd's to my computer. I already see my PC slowing way down and I am not even half done.

Can these files be shrunk? If so, without hurting quality? Is there any other trick?

Should they be converted to another file type?

I want to burn my entire collection to a Data Disk or 2. How? Is this a good idea? Does it only play on my computer or will it play in a CD player? If I do make Data disks and then delete music from the PC, can I easily put the music back on from the disks?

I have a Zune that I will be putting music to as well. I also may get an IPOD, can music easily be transferred to ITUNES to get on that device?

Thanks for any input,

diego88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hey diego88!!

The file type depends on what you set the program to rip as. If you're using WMP, I'm guessing it's probably converting them to .wma. I wouldn't suggest shrinking your files, because you will lose quality, but there is an option to do so in Tools>Options and under the "Rip Music" tab by moving the slider under Audio Quality.
Some other types, if you don't want .wma, are .mp3 or .mp4. With newer versions of WMP, like what you have, should be able to rip to mp3. Under the Rip menu, choose mp3 rather than .wma. You can also choose to rip to .mp3 through the Tools>Options> Rip Music tab. If you'd like to use something other than WMP, you can use Express Rip software, which is FREE, to rip your CDs into .mp3 format and for your existing files if you'd like to convert them into .mp3 as well, you can use Switch, which is a format converter, which is free as well.

If you want to burn your files to a CD as a data disc, it is a good idea, but you can't play it as a CD. If you put the CD back into your computer, you will be able to remove them and put them back on your computer.

Yes, music can be put into iTunes if you get an iPod. My suggestion is though, is to make sure ALL of your music is in ONE file. iTunes will ask you for a directory folder and it will import all your music, videos, etc. It'll be the same folder that if you download any music from iTunes, that is where it'll be stored.

I would suggest that if you're going to put the music you're ripping from your CDs onto your mp3 player, that I'd keep them on data discs (like you'd mentioned) OR maybe invest in an external hard drive as well. It'll free a lot of space from your computer and it'll also back up your music in case anything should happen to your mp3 player and/or your computer. This will be especially a good idea if your internal Hard Drive isn't that big, 80 GB or lower.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'd be glad to give you further assistance!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Noot, 16 January 2008 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:55 AM

Thank you very much Noot!!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic