Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Updates Causing Crashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scouse6

scouse6

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

Win XP
Sp2

Upgraded my graphics card to a ATI Radeon sapphire X1650 pro.
I'm disappointed , didn't get the improvement I expected.But the main problem is that when I update through either Microsoft update service or Radeon,two of my progs crash.I then have to use restore point to get them working again. Also Radeon comes with Catalyst Control Center, that will not run either.

1. Joost
2. Americas Army

Any advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

Did you remove your previous drivers prior to the upgrade of the card?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Don't update...use the drivers which came on the CD.

I find attempts to update ATI drivers...lead to unnecessary frustration.

Now that you have tried to update...I suggest going back and removing everything ATI from your files and registry...and then using the CD drivers to install the card.

When you attempt to update from the ATI website, you have to have some version of MS.NET installed...and you have to install the packages in the proper sequence.

Louis

#4 scouse6

scouse6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thanks guys,
FireKracker, yes I removed the graphics drivers.(nvidia).But not all because the on board sound is nvidia so I left those alone.

Louise, I uninstalled using add/remove but I dont think it unstalls the registry.(just guessing really).So I had to reinstall from the original driver disc.But the catalyst control center will not now run.In the start/programs the control is show but the drop down menu the choices ,ccc. ccc wizard etc are greyed out and will not work....????

Edited by scouse6, 16 January 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

I have an AIW 9600 and an AIW 7500...I've given you all the potentially useful info I have learned since having these two cards.

I guess I'm curious why you are fooling with the Cat Control Center...I don't think I've ever needed to do that at all. My drivers install, my remote junk installs, my MCC installs, the drivers install in the proper sequence. I just took a look and I didn't even bother to install the CCC on this system, guess I don't think it's necessary for me. I have installed it in the past but never had a reason to resort to it for anything.

I know how to install the drivers from the CD and the autorun feature of the CD installs all the drivers and the MMC. In case the autorun fails, I know how to install the individual components from their respective folders on the CD.

In short, the CCC is not a critical item. If the drivers work, you are golden.

Possible tip on uninstalling:
http://blogulate.com/content/ati-driver-un...ation-problems/

Louis

#6 scouse6

scouse6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for your response Louis,

didn't really wont to use the CCC, just thought that it was anther sign of the drivers not loading correctly.Thought that this is why my fps have not improved.I mistakenly thought that that a more expensive (better) graphics card would improve fps in games. When it didn't, I assumed that fault was that I needed updated drivers.... Guess Ive lost the plot... My original card cost $25 nvida. This new one $124 , I feel the money was wasted...!
I have 1Gb ram maybe I should have spent my sterling on more ram..???

Many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users