Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Hardware Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

New build, am having problem with system shutting down all by itself for no apparent reason.
Have narrowed it down to incompatible RAM, or so I hope......
MOBO is a Gigabyte GAM-59-SLI S5
CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 gHZ
O/S is Vista home Premium 32 bit
I have been told that Vista is very particular as to what type and size of RAM to use, the Gigabyte website does not specify what I should use either.
Can anyone offer help or insight on this?
Thanks in advance

:huh:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi, you did not say what RAM you are using. Vista takes up a little over 500MB just to run. The lowest you should go is 1GB, but if you are a gamer I would suggest 2GB.
however, the problem you describe sounds like the CPU heat sink may not be firmly set. Did you use thermal grease?
If the CPU gets hot your machine will shut down.
Try removing the heat sink/fan assembly and reseat it. Make sure that the fan is working properly when you turn it on.
Please let me know how much RAM you are using and what type it is (E.G. DDR, DDR2, etc...), and what speed it is.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hi, you did not say what RAM you are using. Vista takes up a little over 500MB just to run. The lowest you should go is 1GB, but if you are a gamer I would suggest 2GB.
however, the problem you describe sounds like the CPU heat sink may not be firmly set. Did you use thermal grease?
If the CPU gets hot your machine will shut down.
Try removing the heat sink/fan assembly and reseat it. Make sure that the fan is working properly when you turn it on.
Please let me know how much RAM you are using and what type it is (E.G. DDR, DDR2, etc...), and what speed it is.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply!
The CPU temperature is not an issue, I have reseated it and applied heat sink compound (after cleaning off all the old compound) at least 4x.
The RAM is Patriot # PDC22G6400LLK (2X1gB) kit, they are DDR2
I just spoke with Gigabyte cust. support and was told that the MOBO voltage setting may be incorrect for these sticks, default setting is 1.8 v and it may be entirely possible that these need 2.2 v. I will consult with Patriot support to verify
Will .4 v make that much of a difference? will this cause my system to freeze up at any given moment? , please remember my s/name.......Newbie in Hawaii..........lol

Thanks again bud !
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

The voltage is very important. I suggest that you buy the proper RAM for your system board. Double check with Gigabyte.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#5 safarifox

safarifox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

New build, am having problem with system shutting down all by itself for no apparent reason.
I have been told that Vista is very particular as to what type and size of RAM to use, the Gigabyte website does not specify what I should use either.
Thanks in advance

For RAM, you can go here http://www.crucial.com/. The site can scan your computer and tell you what kind of RAM you can use.

Also, as a side note, your sig should be: ua mau ke ola o ke kai.
There is no 'okina in front of ola, nor is there one in front of the o-possessive.

Edited by safarifox, 16 January 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#6 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Thanks in advance

For RAM, you can go here http://www.crucial.com/. The site can scan your computer and tell you what kind of RAM you can use.

Also, as a side note, your sig should be: ua mau ke ola o ke kai.
There is no 'okina in front of ola, nor is there one in front of the o-possessive.

Mahalo, safarifox for the sig. correction, certainly did not want to offend any Hawaiians. Being 1/2 Hawaiian myself, I should of known better, especially ku'puna (sic)............" Oh no!, not the slaps from tutu"............lol

"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#7 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

The voltage is very important. I suggest that you buy the proper RAM for your system board. Double check with Gigabyte.
Thank you.

No, I must thank you sir for the information.
I will follow up with Gigabyte as to the RAM that I have now. Hopefully I can keep it...
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users