Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowro

Shadowro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop restarts and hangs up. I found reference to this problem on the Toshiba website had to call support and found out they stopped testing and fixing this problem for free back in November. I am just a little pissed off with Toshiba. The tech I talked to said the fix is to replace the motherboard. It seems to me you should be able to replace/repair the MB by changing the bad parts on the MB. The laptop won't even make it passed the boot up now. If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this peice of garbage I would love to hear it. Toshiba said they will look at it in Kentucky at their repair center for a small sum of $425(this is just the flat fee,could be more to fix it). I don't think the thing is selling on Ebay for that much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

Hi,
It is some times the case that a repair will cost more than the machine is worth.
You can go here to find the price for a rebuilt mother board.
I have not used this company, I do know any thing about this company, use at your own risk
I just found the site browsing the web.
I have heard that there are companys that you can send your mother board in for repair, I do not know of any at this time.
If you find one please share that information.
Thank you.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

Well...my take would be...why would I spend money fixing a known defect...when the same amount of money could get me a newer system with a 1-year warranty for such BS?

My second thought would be..."I will never ever entertain the concept of buying a Toshiba laptop for anything other than bargain prices."

Is this the system you have, http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A7...r/dp/B00030NX7E

I haven't thought about spending that kind of money on a system since 1998 or so. What do you do on this system that makes it worth what Amazon wants?

Louis

#4 oldhippie

oldhippie

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

OK just got a mother board from blue raven (pre owned) and there are components missing from the mother board!
They are shipping another one but should not have to go through that. I do not recommend them and I am sorry now that I posted a link to their site.
The hippiefreakcomputergeek
William Johnson MCDST
The purple letters are links to click on

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

Caveat Emptor!
Buyer beware!

The laptop will probably cost more to fix than it is worth
Its not like a desktop where the motherboard can easily be swapped out.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

In order to make a laptop with interchangeable parts, the motherboard would have to be redesigned and sockets would have to be added (which would increase the size and weight of the laptop). Then there'd have to be modifications to the case for ease of access (more bulk and weight).

Major service centers make their living by replacing components, not by repairing them. I'd suggest that if you have a specific issue that can be identified, that you take it to an experienced technician who is experienced at replacing components on PCB's (printed circuit boards) and see if they can replace the defective component.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users