Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Os Via Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hey all!

Lately, my current computer just isn't good enough for even simple tasks like multitasking. So, I've been thinking about building a new computer. However, I don't want to dish out $150~ for another OS (waiting till Vista becomes stable and game-friendly). So, I was wondering if it's possible to just reformat my current HD (which was bought from HP with the OS preloaded along with all their other software) and then stick it into a new computer? Theoretically, it seems it could work because it's still on the same HD but now is running with different parts. It's as if I just swapped out all the hardware in my old computer for new ones.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Taking a hdd with an operating system that has been used in one computer and installing it in another computer is asking for trouble. The following is an excerpt from this article.

Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article . This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Do you have the installation disk that came with the computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

Well, as you may or may not know, most computers ship with the OS preinstalled with a bunch of the company's (in my case HP) software and then either have a partitioned section of the HDD for the recovery files or a recovery CD. I have the partitioned section.

I assume this won't work then?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

Not to mention you would be on very questionable legal ground, the oem you purchased is tied to the original computer, you are allowed to upgrade hardware incrementally(a few things at a time). I know this doesn't seem fair but MS sells the OS to the big boys for less than half what a regular system builder pays.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

I assume this won't work then?

No, this will not work. Not only is the license tied to the original computer, it is also tied to a specific configuration of hardware. If that hardware configuration is not present, then it will not reinstall.

#6 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

yea, it doesn't seem fair...darn it.

Well, I guess I'm stuck trying to decide if I should get Vista or Xp Pro. I'm probably not going to get the computer until the summer anyway, so I guess I'll have to see how Vista's doing.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users