Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Unresponsive During Bootup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rancidskunx

rancidskunx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi I was recently infected with the vundo virus and it really messed up my pc. I could clear my computer of the infection and return some stuff back to normal but Ive been having a weird problem and that is that when ever I boot my computer I can access the bios settings and move up and down and ect, but if I press f8 to boot the computer in safe mode it enters the menu but after that the keyboard becomes unresponsive. The numlock key turns on and off when I ramdomly press the keys. I tried putting the windows xp cd and when the computer detects the cd on the boot up when it says "press the enter key to boot up from cd" the keyboard becomes unresponsive again. The thing is that when windows xp loads up everything is working alright. Thanks in advance ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

If you go to the devive manager, do you have the correct drivers installed?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 rancidskunx

rancidskunx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

I have the default windows driver

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

Is this a USB keyboard? Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS. It says some like Legacy USB
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 rancidskunx

rancidskunx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Thanks bro that solved the problem ^_^

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

Can you say how you fixed the problem so others with a similar problem can correct it.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

I believe enabling legacy/DOS USB support in the BIOS solved it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#8 Tbonegeek

Tbonegeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Though the enabling of the legacy USB worked. Would anyone happen to know what causes this? I have the same issue but not sure why this worked because my keyboards (all 3 that I have are diff brands) and are all USB 2.0 and new keyboards. Is it a Spyware/Malware issue? Because I have seen it since my issue many different times, on different systems, though the commonality is they are all AMD machines. Is it specific to AMD MoBo's? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users