Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Managers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if anyone has an idea if there is a download manager that will download the files and then turn off my computer? and/or that can save parts of the downloads and then continue later if the download files are over a certain size?

The reason being, is I have dial-up internet access and it takes forever to download large files, and I do not want to be online all night waiting for the downloads. This way if there was a download mabager that did what I needed it to do, then I could set the manager to turn of my computer after downloading a certain # of files or for after a certain time frame. THen I could continue the download later.

If there is such a download manager. Who makes it? where can I get it? And what is the price?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hi,

I'm on slow dialup, too, so a download manager is a must for me. I don't know if it's the "best" or not (that's a relative term, IMO), but I really like FreeDownloadManager, which does all the things you're asking for, and more. And all at no cost! :thumbsup:

It even works on Vista (32-bit only).

ETA: the only drawback I've found is that, even using the appropriate settings, I just don't have enough bandwidth to surf at the same time I'm downloading. But I've gotten used to that, and it's no big deal for me.

Edited by Dialer, 16 January 2008 - 12:23 AM.

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

THanks Dialer.
I will take a look at it. Because with about 196MB to download in updates I deffinately need something! Because at an average of 3.00kb/s download speed,I think it would take forever to download what updates I need to download. So I need some thing that can I can stop in the middle of, and save, then restart at a later time.

And Yes I still have that other problem still bothering me. (KB936181) I am going to try what you suggested for that problem, and I found the directions I had printed out from that article on the Microsoft website. I will let you know what happens on that problem, on that post.

I will check back in here to see if anyone else has any suggestions on the download managers. Then I will check out the one you said. And let you know what I decide to do. Later Guys and Gals. :thumbsup:

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

Hi, and you're welcome, Groffeaston.

an average of 3.00kb/s download speed

That's my average speed, too. :thumbsup:

Another cool feature of FreeDownloadManager is that once it starts a download, it'll give you an estimate of how long a specific file will take.

For giganticus d/ls, I simply set it up to start just as I'm going to bed. I've successfully downloaded files as large as 130 MB that way by running it over several nights.

BTW, I'm not sure that you can use it for updates from Microsoft. It definitely doesn't work with the ones that you get through your control panel, but Microsoft might block download managers from the manual downloads too. However, I think that most interrupted MS d/ls will pick up where they left off, so that shouldn't be a problem.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:36 AM

Ohh. I might give the download manager a try :thumbsup: As I am on stuck with dial up :flowers: Slow dial up..

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 17 January 2008 - 03:44 AM.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

I am on DSL now, but since I was on Dialup I was using Get Right.

It's fast and nice one, can be used on firefox with Flashgot plugin also.

http://getright.com/ <- the page of the project

It's not free, but i use it since 2001 with its evaluation version. A friend of mine have bought it, but the results are not TOO diffirent from evaluation to registered!

:D

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

#7 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'm using IDM www.internetdownloadmanager.com . It helps me to download with the maximum speed of my connection. Sometimes when I use it I can not surf internet more. Because I have no bandwidth more to surf. :D. But I think that's good for you when you are using dialup. With dialup, time is money, more faster more better. :D.

Posted Image

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

I agree
Alot of downloads (such as large programs and program updates) I have to let run over night and if my connection cuts out, can't resume. But with a download manager those on dial up can :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

Hi "Dialer"

I decided to go with FreeDownloadManager. I downloaded it already. I have yet to use it. I just did it on Sunday afternoon/early evening. So I thought I would let you know. Thanks

Matt "Groffeaston"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users