Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Rebooting All The Time!?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hello,

I am currently using my Windows Vista Laptop to post thos problem with my other Windows XP Computer, allow me to give you guys some information on specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP2
RAM: 1GIG
Hard drive: 80GIG.

Anyway... A few days ago as I was using my computer normally, I did not change any settings... Doing my usual work... Checking Emails, witting Emails, Using Firefox to checkup on financial updates, and using Microsoft Office. The usual everyday thing I do.

Then suddenly my computer just restarted randomly! I thought I must off accidentally hit the restart button, but i knew i didn't.... 6 hours later the random reboot happened again... this happened a few times, I decided to reformat my hard drive.

Well here the problem got alot worse, After I reformatted I was installing Microsoft Updates and had NOTHING installed, my pc rebooted again, and this time, it didnt even start, Bringing up "The black screen of death", where I could choose to start in safemode, normal mode or last known configuration settings. I did all of them, But when Windows XP was loading after I choose those options (Where Windows XP has black background and the Windows XP logo), it immediately rebooted, I looked at my BIOS settings (blue setup config stuf, clock settings, etc), i went out for 20 mins came back and my pc still had the BIOS screen on! my pc did NOT reboot. It did not reboot, now this is odd! must be some special code from microsoft.

I thought it was strange, after I got out of it... it rebooted again, and I cant even put my windows xp disk in to repair/reformat because it wont even recognize that and it will reboot.

I tried unplugging and plugging cords, checking cords, checking all my computer cords, power cords, made sure everything was fine. Still same result.
M

This sounds like a Hardware error to me. Any help or advice? I think I am 70% sure it is a Hardware problem... Ive had my computer for 4 years and I have had no problems or haven't upgraded or bought any new hardware since.

Thank you for reading and any advice would be appreciate it before I attempt to pull money out an IT guy or buy anything.

Thanks,

Josh.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:26 AM

The first thing I suggest...check to see if all fans are working properly.

There is a fan on the power supply and one on the CPU...there may be more.

Overheating is a known cause of the behavior you describe.

Louis

#3 Fredil Yupigo

Fredil Yupigo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

Also, get a huge can of compressed air or an old bike pump, take all the wires out, take your computer to the balcony/porch/garage (make sure it is NOT raining! I've heard some stories) and blow all the freaking dust out of the hardware. See if this and what he suggested above helps any :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users