Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Windows "LongHorn"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

Ok, I've been doing some research lately, and I've found out some interesting information regarding the next version of Microsoft Windows "LongHorn."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...bd-88e0243a3cad

who would want to pay $150 every year!
I can see a ton of people moving to linux and mac
I'm using linux to post this now and have no second OS on my PC
thunderbird and OOo will replace office
A subscription service would be stupid!
" Windows Longhorn client" that makes it sound like there will be a windows
longhorn server running somewhere at M$ and it'll tell them everything
windows users do.

Ok, I totally agree with this guy (click on the link about this for the link), if and when Microsoft gets the "brillant" idea to charge people X amount of money a year. It would defintely make me switch to a different O/S or even stay with XP for as long as I can before I would have to pay for it. :thumbsup:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum107/128-4-10.htm
personally i think that microsoft would ruin longhorn if they were to charge a monthly fee on top of the up front fee, (or even if u had to pay them over time). And there is a good possibility they will.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...bd-88e0243a3cad

Extra Info that every O/S should have... and I agree!
http://www.wincustomize.com/Articles.aspx?AID=66798

so in the end, what do you think?

(also, if any of you use a p2p program, just for curiosty or if your bored, do a search for windows longhorn, u'll be surprised of what u'll find, especially beta versions)

Edited by yanowhiz, 03 March 2005 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:31 AM

Its not gonna happen. It will be a one time fee just like windows xp is.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

Yes these are just early assumptions by people. Bill gates knows that if he did that not many would buy it or keep it because they couldn't afford to. Then that would mean less money for him.

I can't wait to see the new OS but I just Got XP so I won't go out and buy it as soon as it comes out.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

yea, many people can't wait for longhorn, and matter of fact i can't wait either, but all this hipe over paying more money would just tick everyone off, and like you said, he won't make as much money if he did that, unless only the business bought from him...

anywho, if anyone wants to see the "new look" of longhorn just open up any p2p and do a search for microsoft longhorn, i did a search and i got a bleep load of "expecting" backgrounds, and i've found some "beta" iso's that can be downloaded and tested. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users