Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Being Able To "ctrl+f" In Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Heya,

I have this problem with Firefox AGAIN! This time I can't search.... so when I press "CTRL+F" the "Find" box comes out

BUT when I type something into this box that I KNOW is on that page (example: "Help Desk") it won't find it... Firefox seems to NOT find ANYTHING (any word)

Now when I try to "find/search" with IE or Firefox on any other computer it does work... any ideas what may be wrong 'cause it's annoying switching browsers just for this

BTW I DID uninstall and reinstall the program (just through add/remove programs) and I have winxp home media edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

When you search for a word or phrase, are you using quotation marks? If so, it won't find it unless quotation marks are part of what you're looking for.

Also, if the word or phrase is on a tab, such as the tabs on this page: Home, Forums, Tutorials etc. it won't find them; I think because those words are part of an image.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

I'm just doing the "CTRL+F" and at the bottom you get the Find: BOX FOR WORD, next, previous, etc

Normally it used to find them no problem - any word on the page... now it won't find any word on any part of the page >....<

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

Right, I know what the "find" box is, I just didn't know the ctrl + f until your first post, so that was new to me. One thing that occurs to me that might be responsible is that a javascript has interfered with the function of the find box. I've known some other glitches caused with the find box caused by javascripts.

Do you or do you not have javascripts blocked excepting for certain sites that you approve?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

How do I find this out?

I manuelly haven't done anything so... not sure

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

This would have to be done manually. There are a couple ways of doing this. Some pro versions of firewalls allow you to block javascripts on a per site basis, or set it up so all javascripts are blocked except on a per site basis that you input as the sites arrive.

Another way which works great with Firefox is an extension called noscript which is free, unlike pro versions of firewalls. You can find it here: http://noscript.net/ Blocking javascripts except when needed also blocks many ads and prevents a lot of spyware from coming aboard your computer. With noscript you can allow a site temporarily, which would be for just that session, or permanently.

Now the question is if a javascript is responsible for your problem, and if so how to get it off your system.

Ideas anyone?

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users