Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sun tries virtual 3D Linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jongleur

jongleur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/index.html

I've always been one for eye candy on my desktop, so I kind of like what they're doing here. Some might consider it a bit to over the top for them. I can understand that. But the main thing to think about here is that this is the first actual attempt to overhaul the desktop since The Mac.

Linux just might get its own GUI after all.

Being Sun Microsystem, I'm sure it's going to have a healthy price tag on it. :thumbsup:

TTFN
Jongleur

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:29 PM

Linux just might get its own GUI after all.

Linux window managers

Not sure what you mean by "it's own GUI", but these WM's have been around a while.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 jongleur

jongleur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:45 PM

Ha raw, what I meant by getting it's own gui is that KDE and Gnome still have the basic characteristics and design structure as Windows Explorer, i.e. you have a taskbar, titlebar, toolbar and desktop icons, so forth and so on. The Mac has something close to the same but the look and operation is a little different. I would love to see Linux get something orignal. There's a tad I don't like about this Looking Glass, but ha, you can't please everyone all of the time :flowers: but it's virtual 3D is a good start :thumbsup:

jongleur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users