Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

retrieving a deleted file

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sistermt

sistermt

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

Help....
I was cleaning off the computer and i erroneously deleted a school file. I also emptied the recycle bin. My computer will not let me retore to a few weeks/days before i did the deleting. Is there any way i can retrieve the file thru dos?? I am using Windows ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

Hello sistermt. Depending on what you have done after emptying your recycle bin, there are tools available that will allow you to recover files if the area of the disk where the file was located has not been reused by the system yet. Here are a couple of links to free tools which I have used in the past to recover deleted files:PC Inspector Rile Recovery
eDATA Unerase Personal Edition
Try either one (or both) to see if the file is recoverable. When a file is deleted what actually happens is that the space the file used is marked as available. If you have not run a defrag or performed alot of file creation and the space has not been used by another file you can recover the deleted file. Either one of these tools can do that. If they cannot, then the file is unrecoverable because the space it previously was in has now been overwritten with a new file and data.

Post back here if you have any questions or just to let us know how you made out.

Cheers.

OT

:thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users