Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enough?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

I have Zonealarm Security Suite & Avast 4.7 Pro installed on my laptop, is this enough protection or could i be using anything elsa to make it more secure? any suggestions to what programs i could install if any that would increase security and would be compatable with Zonealarm and Avast? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hello!
I see you have a firewall in place an an anti virus. Which is fantastic and your choices are very good protectors (as I use them both :] )

May I suggest some anti spyware & malware programs. I have found no compatibility issues while using Zone Alarm and Avast with Super Anti Spyware, Spybot S&D, AVG Anti Spyware, Win patrol and Ad-Aware.
I find their detection and removal superb. But the current programs I am using in combination with ZA and Avast are Super Anti Spyware & Spybot

These are all free and can be found here Freeware Replacements

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

You have both too much and not enough.

You should have only ONE anti-virus installed. The reason is that more than one will conflict with each other and could even make your computer more vulnerable.

Likewise, you should have only ONE firewall installed and running.

You should have 2 or 3 anti-spyware programs, as each program will find something that the other does not because different people have different ideas of what spyware is. ONE of these may be set up for real-time protection if you wish. The others on-demand.

SpywareBlaster is a good program to have installed. It blocks spyware from getting on your computer in the first place by inserting code into the computer and browsers. Once installed, make sure all protection is enabled and update it at least once a week.

You can look here: for a list of freeware applications that have been recommended by various members: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Whoops.
I didnt notice that said Security Suite. When I usually se zone alarm I think firewall :thumbsup:

#5 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

thanks, which one should i keep zone alarm security suite, as it has a three layed fire wall which it only on the anti virus versions and kasperspy as a scanner, or avast pro as it is a good deep cleaner? which program offer better protection? and anyother advice? thanks

Edited by simonrjnash, 16 January 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:13 AM

You could disable the anti virus in Zone Alarm then you will be able to sue the firewall by all means and still keep Avast. Or you could do a complete uninstall then just install Zone Alarms Free Firewall and Keep Avast.
Whatever works for you :thumbsup: But I find Avast to do a real deep, thorough clean.

#7 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:21 AM

cheers, can i just turn off the zonealarm antivirus and keep its anti spyware on, or will that cause problems, or am i just wasting my time by having a large program that i am only really going to use the firewall for? should i just get the free firewall, any othe programs that i should use, people say AVG and Super Anti Spyware & Spybot?

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

Is the anti spyware seperate to the anti virus or do they protect and scan ta the same time?

#9 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

they are seperate, u can choose which one u want activated and scan seperatly

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

The problem with keeping the security suite, even with the AV deactivated, is that the AV is still installed. This has been known to cause problems also. In fact, I'm surprised you were even able to install AVAST with the ZA suite installed already.

One other thing: I personally find that having separate applications for the different security purposes uses fewer resources, and they are easier to run in safe mode if you need to. Firewalls cannot run in safe mode, but AV and AS scanners can. Try out different programs and combinations and stick with what works on your system.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

The problem with keeping the security suite, even with the AV deactivated, is that the AV is still installed.

I know McAfee virus scan can be uninstalled from its security center from personal experience. So what about Zone Alarm?

Also I could install Avast with Trend Micro installed.

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 17 January 2008 - 03:03 AM.

#12 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

cheers, i've now got avast pro 4.7, zone alarm firewall and superanti spyware, system runs really quick now, cheers for the help, if u can think of anyother programs that could help? i've also got tuneup utilities 2008, cleans out the system really well and makes it run super fast,

#13 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

I reccomend you using 1 or 2 more anti spyware programs. I find Ad-Aware 2007 and Spybot S&D great. Check the Freeware Replacements topic for more useful applications.

By the way, I like the sound of what you have too :thumbsup:

#14 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

May i suggest trying out SpywareGuard and Comodo Boclean?

Spywareguard is free it doesn't update by itself, you must manually update it.

Boclean does everything by itself, including updating itself.

And what's best, you can run these 2 programs with the others you have and should have no conflitcs :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

I recomend you using 1 or 2 more anti spyware programs. I find Ad-Aware 2007

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See here.

Please see what I wrote about SpywareBlaster above. Also, please read what quietman7 has written here:

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".

Safe surfing and have a malware free day.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users