Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ean Connection Failed...?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Renegaade

Renegaade

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

I get this message every time I start up the computer. It doesn't appear to effect anything, I just click OK and it goes away until I start it up again. I can't find any EAN programs doing a file search, so not sure what it could be. I recently deleted AceGain LiveUpdate as I didn't know what it was, could that be connected? It doesn't appear to be a common problem as the google hits are few and far between. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

Go to Event Viewer and see if there is a comparable error message with more detail, please.

Connection...the only standard connection on a computer is the Internet connection or the network connection. Anything other than that is probably trouble, IMO.

You did check for malware, right?

Louis

#3 Renegaade

Renegaade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

There's nothing in the Event log and no malware was found. I Googled the aforementioned "AceGain Live Update" http://www.acegain.com

An exerpt:

:: AceGain EAN Linux Manager ::
To truly automate and optimize the IT management process, AceGain EAN Linux Manager enables administrators to create policy-based rules that can be tied to executable processes, batch processes or commands.
Along with performance monitoring and alert management, AceGain EAN Linux Manager enables administrators to take real-time inventory snapshots of every machine in their environment.
AceGain EAN Linux Manager gives administrators an all-encompassing and comprehensive system-monitoring solution that provides real-time information on single nodes, clusters and virtual groups.
http://ean.acegain.com

I was noticing an unkown "A" icon in the tray and since I never remember using AceGain or even visiting the site I deleted the program.

It's odd that the website doesn't explain what EAN is, although it appears to be a system monitoring program. I don't use Linux so I fail to see how it showed up. Deleting it must have lead to the "EAN Connection Failed" messages although not even that should come up unless remnants of the program still remain.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:32 AM

I would use the following tool to look at startup items and see if there is a corresponding entry.

Often, registry entries remain behind in startup after programs are removed/deleted.

This tool allows you to delete/disable any startup items you don't want to run.

The only tab to focus on is the Logon tab.

AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users