Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME freezes online MSN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lfhos

lfhos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

Hi. I'm new here and I'm really hoping you all can advise me what to do. I have Windows ME and it is freezing up on me a minimum of 10 times daily. Especially when I'm online. I have MSN. I've been told that I should reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything. I've ordered Windows XP Home Edition to install in place of the ME. My first question is - will reformatting the hard drive and installing XP get rid of the problem with my computer freezing up? And my 2nd question - I bought a new graphics card last year (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200). During a move I lost the install disc for the card. Can I copy the driver files to disk and copy it back after the reformat and still have the card work properly? Thanks in advance for your help.
Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:11 AM

Hello lfhos. Reformatting your hard drive and installing a new operating system MIGHT resolve your problem. It is a drastic solution and going from ME to XP could bring on a number of new problems. To make sure that your system can run XP see this site for information regarding what system hardware is required to use XP:WinXP Home System Requirements
Regarding your graphics card, you will not be able to use your current ME drivers with XP. XP comes with drivers for many hardware devices but it is not guaranteed that the drivers for your particular card will be included. Here is a link where you can download the correct NVidia drivers for any Windows operating system:NVidia Drivers
Find the correct drivers for your card and operating system and download them for installation.

Your freeze-ups may be due to viruses or malware on your computer and if so you can have an expert here review your system with you and help you remove it. See the link below for information on how to create a HijackThis log and post it to the proper forum for review:How to submit a HijackThis log
Cheers.

OT

:thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

Here is a list of tasks that may improve ME's performance:
1. Rid your hard drive of unneeded applications, temporary network files (use disk cleanup), and all those old files you never look at.
2. Use several sypware applications to rid yourself of malware that often slows your operating system.
3. Review the applications that lauch on start up, and eliminate those unneeded.
4. Run scandisk and defrag your hard drive.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lfhos

lfhos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

I tried both of your suggestions plus suggestions I got from MSN. It did not help so I did a factory restore on my computer. That has not helped either. I am still freezing up and now I am starting to get messages that my "system is dangerously low in resources". Doing the factory restore did get rid of alot of "junk" but it is slower than ever. I don't know whether a part on the mother board is getting ready to go or if it's my hard drive? Can anyone advise me on this one?

Thanks
Lori :thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

I would suggest two thinks . First . Go to START>RUN>MSINFO32 and print or save to disk your current config. Second . START>RUN>MSCONFIG> STARTUP and uncheck everything . You can go back later and check the program , like you antivirus , that you feel you later . Third . Download and run CClearner . This should help a little . By the way tell us what kind of system you have . CPU , ram , video....

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

The freezing up and slowness thats occuring could be hardware related since the system restore didn't help. Have you ever cleaned out the inside of your computer? If the heatsink beneath the CPU fan has become clogged with dust overheating can occur which can lead to hanging and crashes or shutdowns. The fan is usually held on with screws or clips that are easily removed.

Take a look at Information about cleaning computer components. I read through it and it covers the subject well. If you decide to do this be sure to read information about ElectricStatic Discharge. It is essential that you follow the directions to prevent this.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users