Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi, I only noticed it because I recently joined another forum. In that board it has an optional security feature to check the IP address of the computer using that username. So if anyone else gets hold of your password they can tell as it would be show up as being logged on as a different IP (i tried to explain that the best I could. Hope you understood me :thumbsup: )

Anyway, I got a message saying that someone had logged in with a different IP address. Thinking someone had just got my password somehow I changed it and had a look on a website to check my ip address. I was just on the forum again a little while ago when I noticed the Mbps count in the bottom right hand corner of my computer dropped quite low. A logged out and in again and there it was. Someone had logged in with a different IP address...and it was me?!?!?

Why is my IP address changing? Also, why does the Mbps count drop now and then? Ive been running scans the last few days (panda, symantec, avg, etc) but nothings showing up. Which is also starting to worry me abit as for a few months now i have had NOTHING show on scans. No spyware cookies, or anything. I know I should be happy about that but surely I would have picked something up by now...

*begins the paranoia*
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

I want to clarify something: Does the IP address change while you are still connected to the internet, or does it change if you disconnect from the internet then reconnect?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

Well, im not sure. Ive just turned my computer on then off and checked my IP address before and after and its still the same. Ill try leaving it on for a while after work tonight and randomly check it during the night (unless there is an easier way?). Also is there an easier way to check my IP address? At the moment im checking via a website.

*EXTRA INFO*

I have just got back from work and checked my IP. Its still the same. Im going to leave it on for a while now and see if it changes while running. Also, I managed to find the security logs of that forum im a part of and according to that whenever ia new IP address has been logged its been different each time...

Is this normal?

Edited by athelos, 16 January 2008 - 01:47 PM.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Whether its normal or not depends on your computer. Many times a computer with a router will be assigned a static, or unchanging, IP number. Frequently though, computers don't have a static IP number. Mine doesn't. Every time I connect to the internet, my IP address is different. It will be within a range of IP addresses that are assigned or associated with my server.

Do you have a firewall on your computer? If so, which one? You should have one. While the windows firewall will block incoming traffic, it does nothing about blocking unwanted outgoing traffic. In the firewall logs, you should be able to find your IP address. It will be called "local point".

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

Just adding some extra info here, but if you have Comodo Firewall Pro, then it'll give ya a lot of info in the bottom right hand corner when you open it up :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#6 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thank you for the help. I understand what is going on now thanks to you. like they say, you learn something new everyday. Thanks again! :flowers:

Oh and P.S.

Anna I have just downloaded comodo and yes you are right :thumbsup: could take a while to get used to this but my dad recommended comodo and then you mentioned it so I thought I'd give it a go.

Edited by athelos, 17 January 2008 - 02:18 PM.

--Charles Schultz

#7 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Ah well i've always used comodo and i'm sticking with it. Also seems that i've made the right choice according to the page here

Just make sure you tick the remember decision (something along those lines) box you allow a program that you use connection to the net, or it will just keep on asking you :thumbsup:

If you don't like it, just can just get another free one from here
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users