Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Erase Your Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi

I'm wanting to sell my old desktop, and have been advised that I should erase the hard drive before selling it.

How do I go about doing this? I'm not too technically minded so can someone please give the "simple" guide..!

Many thanks

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi. nat. You can try this program.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

You can do an Fdisk but that really doesn't remove it. They say that the only way is to write zeroes to it a few times.

What I usually do is just toss the HD. The best method I have seen is to put it in a log splitter (seriously).

At the cost of a new hard drive, I would replace it and then destroy it. The hard drive is just about the only thing that moves, besides the fans, so it has a limited lifespan.

#4 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

Here's what I use. I just boot to either a floppy or CD, and let 'er rip!
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

You can do an Fdisk but that really doesn't remove it. They say that the only way is to write zeroes to it a few times.

What I usually do is just toss the HD. The best method I have seen is to put it in a log splitter (seriously).

At the cost of a new hard drive, I would replace it and then destroy it. The hard drive is just about the only thing that moves, besides the fans, so it has a limited lifespan.

My sentiments exactly !! Are you selling one by any chance!! ??

#6 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

Cheers all for your answers. I think I'd better clarify my question cos I didn't put it correctly. It's actually a work laptop which I must return, not sell. I thought that I could erase the hard drive but having read your answers, obviously I can't!!

Sorry for the confusion!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

If it's a work laptop, chances are that they will clear the hard drive before re-issuing it. You might ask before eliminating the O/S, though.

A low-level format would probably accomplish what it appears that you want. All hard drive manufacturers have utilities for doing such, available at their respective websites.

Louis

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Sorry but no, I don't. I just bought a 120GB notebook drive for about $70 from New Egg. I imagine you could do with an 80 or 40. They are running about $50. You should then be able to reinstall the OS, in order to get it ready for sale. If it doesn't activate, call Microsoft and explain the Hard Drive was replaced. They will usually activate on the basis of either a hard drive replacement or a motherboard replacement.

Good luck.

DR

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Use Kill Disk the government trust it, I am sure you can too. It will erase EVERYTHING.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

If you just want to eliminate your personal files, while leaving the Operating System intact, use Eraser.

Install Eraser.
Delete all of your personal files.
Set Eraser to make at least, 3 passes (5 would be better, if you have a lot of time to spare).
Double-click My Computer.
Right-click your harddrive, and select Erase unused space.

This will make 3 passes, with 1's, and 0's, to the unused portions of the harddrive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:17 AM

Sorry but no, I don't. I just bought a 120GB notebook drive for about $70 from New Egg. I imagine you could do with an 80 or 40. They are running about $50. You should then be able to reinstall the OS, in order to get it ready for sale. If it doesn't activate, call Microsoft and explain the Hard Drive was replaced. They will usually activate on the basis of either a hard drive replacement or a motherboard replacement.

Good luck.

DR

I was actually referring to the "Log Splitter""................!!!! :thumbsup:

#12 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

If you just want to eliminate your personal files, while leaving the Operating System intact, use Eraser.

Hi TG911 - Thanks for the info for Eraser - great program - is there something similar for Linux ??? Cheers :thumbsup:

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi TG911 - Thanks for the info for Eraser - great program - is there something similar for Linux ??? Cheers :thumbsup:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openeraser/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/expimenttk/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users