Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Disk Check Deleting Files On Second Hd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:07 AM

Actually this happen ages ago but since it done nothing with the hard drive(or it seems do nothing) i didn't worry
Until today I relieze when I want to make fan videos again,I found like 5 videos are missing.I search for them bbut nothing came up
I download the videos again and went I reboot,the computer want to check my HD and I was slow at canceling it..so when it load up,I go to my HD again,and I lost one video again

Can I disable it from checking my second HD or make it shut up on trying to check my HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm unsure of what your problem is and what you're asking. In the BIOS there is a section to change the boot device order. There should be an option in there. You're not dual booting with a second OS are you?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

ummm...wha?
sorry,I'm not sure about this computer really
How to get to BIOS?
How does that make it shut up on saying Your disk needs to be check blah blah blah?
Dual boot?Not sure
second OS?Obviously not...

I hope you can help me,since other people using this computer and they don't bother to cancel the check at all
help...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

FWIW: When disk check messages come up...you need to pay attention to them...and run chkdsk according to the following:

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Put check marks in both boxes that appear.

Louis

#5 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

Sorry,I just cancel the disk check cause I only have few seconds before another file deletion!!
I only caught the word "Running Chkdsk" or something like that
BTW,the screen it is checking is like the one of the site you shown to me http://www.updatexp.com/images/chkdskbluelge.jpg
Why would it delete my videos,I mean,it a VIDEO,not a driver or something...
and also,shouldn't it stop checking my disk for so many times?
it is annoying,can I disable it to stop checking on my D HD?

Edited by DarkNight, 17 January 2008 - 12:37 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

When a hard drive has bad sectors or is otherwise damaged...XP will try to repair or minimize the damage.

It does this by starting chkdsk.

You defeat this attempt every time you stop it from running.

The way to complete the process...has already been outlined for you.

And...your assertion that chkdsk is removing files...is absurd.

Maybe your hard drive is flaking out so that files are disappearing or are unable to be read...chkdsk is the only XP tool that can possibly counteract the damage.

It is not uncommon for failing hard drives to become unreadable in part or wholly...as the deterioration progresses.

FWIW: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1583

Louis

#7 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

When a hard drive has bad sectors or is otherwise damaged...XP will try to repair or minimize the damage.

It does this by starting chkdsk.

Ok,I see your point

You defeat this attempt every time you stop it from running.

The way to complete the process...has already been outlined for you.

I already said that a few times I forgot to cancel it,and it did it's job and my video disappear!

And...your assertion that chkdsk is removing files...is absurd.

Ok,I know it sound totally ridicious,but so far everytime chkdsk run,my video dissapear :thumbsup:

Maybe your hard drive is flaking out so that files are disappearing or are unable to be read...chkdsk is the only XP tool that can possibly counteract the damage.

It is not uncommon for failing hard drives to become unreadable in part or wholly...as the deterioration progresses.

FWIW: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1583

Louis

maybe..
I actually want to back up my computer..but my mom wouldn't let me :flowers:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:45 AM

What you can do...is download a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer...put that on a bootable floppy/CD...and then run that on the drive.

Should provide a much clearer picture.

You want to run the long diagnostic, if there is an option within the diag for short or long version.

Hard Disk Drive Diagnostics-Utilities - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users