Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Pro Vs Others?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sphygmo

sphygmo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

Okay, kids. Here's my first stab at asking for help. My friend is considering buying a Mac Pro, but she asked me to help her weigh in the pros and cons before she decides to buy it.

I have no idea, though my girlfriend always said that Mac's are overrated, and that the software incompatibilities are still a bit annoying to configure. My friend is a very busy girl, and isn't really the type who has the time and patience for configuring software gliches (however minor they are), and she's an interior designer. She is also an amateur photographer, and is educated on Microcad, Autocad, as far as I remember. She designs furniture for a company in China. She wants me to check out other non-Mac brands with the same specs. So I bragged about being a member of a computer forum.

Help me out please! Thanks.

15-inch MacBook Pro
HK$ 19,200
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4MB shared L2 cache
Option: 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

15.4-inch (viewable) widescreen
1440 x 900 pixels
Option: Glossy or antiglare

Memory2
2GB (two SO-DIMMs)
Option: Up to 4GB

Hard drive1
160GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm
Option: Up to 250GB, 5400 rpm

Optical drive3
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM

Built-in iSight camera
DVI video out with support for DVI video (up to 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display) plus VGA, S-video, and composite video output with adapters (sold separately)

Wireless
Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n)6
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Ethernet
10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Input
Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; scrolling trackpad

Two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 400 port, one FireWire 800 port, one ExpressCard/34 slot

Combined optical digital/headphone out, combined optical digital/audio line in, microphone, speakers

Battery life7
Up to 5.75 hours

1 x 14.1 x 9.6 inches
2.59 x 35.7 x 24.3 cm

5.4 pounds
2.45 kg

--------

I just need alternatives comparable to this laptop's specs, and help her make a decision. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sphygmo

sphygmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:12 AM

Does this mean there's nothing better out there? Mac Pro is the best? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users