Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 svg3414

svg3414

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

I have this peculiar problem.

My desktop looks like this (image attached).

I am not able to remove the white band on the left side. I dont know how I got it in the first place.

Also I am not able to drag n drop anything to the desktop.

Please help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 svg3414

svg3414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

Anybody?

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

I'm on Vista now, but the principles should be the same for XP Pro.

Try right-clicking on the desktop and selecting the Personalize option and going from there. Or in the Control Panel, select Personalization/Appearance (or is it Display in XP?). Have you tried changing your themes settings?

If you can't find any other solution, how about going back to a restore point from just before this happened? (Do you know what you were doing when the desktop changed?)

I don't know if Windows has any limit to the number of items you can put on the desktop, but since you have so many, that could be the problem.

Just some thoughts. I hope you can get some ideas from them.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

Try right clicking on the white band (near the very top of it) and selecting "Close toolbar"

If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if your Desktop is being launched with some special command switches that cause this behavior. This could be caused by tweaking programs, by a virus, or by manipulating the registry/startup files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 svg3414

svg3414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Try right clicking on the white band (near the very top of it) and selecting "Close toolbar"

If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if your Desktop is being launched with some special command switches that cause this behavior. This could be caused by tweaking programs, by a virus, or by manipulating the registry/startup files.

Doesn't work.

I have scanned for viruses and malware, but nothing found.

What to do? :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

A quick look at your desktop shows the file XV 32.exe. A google for this shows that it "may" be spyware.
What did you use to scan your system? The Avast that was already installed? If so, I'd suggest you get independent verification by performing one of these online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Have you used CCleaner? If so, have you used the registry cleaner portion? (it's not recommended here)
What other tweaking/cleaning programs do you have installed?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 svg3414

svg3414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

A quick look at your desktop shows the file XV 32.exe. A google for this shows that it "may" be spyware.
What did you use to scan your system? The Avast that was already installed? If so, I'd suggest you get independent verification by performing one of these online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Have you used CCleaner? If so, have you used the registry cleaner portion? (it's not recommended here)
What other tweaking/cleaning programs do you have installed?

XVI32 is a HEX editor.

Yes I have used CCleaner, its registry cleaner portion as well.

I dont have any other such programs installed.

#8 splify

splify

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

Try fiddling with:

Right click on clear Desktop > Properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web
It just looks like some Active desktop problem to me.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

Thanks splify! I have no knowledge about Active Desktop, so I'll bow out here! :thumbsup:

#10 svg3414

svg3414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

I have solved the problem by reinstalling windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users