Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Service Pack 1: When Is It Coming?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

i'm asking the question: When is Vista Service Pack 1 coming? i know 2008 but which quarter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

i here it will come out this March/April.

Has anyone heard that the download size is going to be 1 GB???? can this be confirmed? if so its going to be a long download process for many.

#3 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

It has been confirmed that sp1 is released at the end of march and no why would it be 1Gig if you remember installing xp sp1 or 2 they where compressed installers vista sp1 as i have read should be around 67MB direct from windows update others have language packs and server packs around 200MB

#4 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

Has anyone heard that the download size is going to be 1 GB???? can this be confirmed? if so its going to be a long download process for many.

Someone gave a link to This interesting article yesterday or so... It should answer all your questions... :huh:
Posted Image
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

If you're getting the 64-bit install file, it's around 750MB. The 32-bit file is about half of that. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it seems to be working fine.

3939.png

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

If you get it the normal way (ie via Windows Update) it uses something called Remote Differential Compression, which only downloads the parts of the files you need to update so the en result will be under 100MB.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Would any of you really consider downloading and installing SP1 once it is released? So many problems with it I wont be in any hurry to get it. Maybe an option is to try it in a VM or similar first. DJBPace07, you must be one of the lucky ones. http://www.news.com/Microsoft-pulls-Vista-..._3-6231299.html

Edited by Monty007, 05 March 2008 - 04:54 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

I got the full single-file download which includes all of the previous updates. Microsoft has finished work on the service pack, they're just waiting to release it until the hardware manufacturers have released more compatible drivers. I got the full edition, I checked the version number (along with MD5 hash and the digital certificate of the install file) and it matches the MSDN release. The driver issues are only an issue if you have certain hardware, such as NIC's and sound devices. Since I have an nVidia NIC and a Xonar soundcard, I was not affected.

3939.png

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

i have two dates for the public release, 18th of March and 19th of March one or the other, can anyone confirm this?

#10 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

Somewhere in Microsoft Forums, Says it will be out via Windows Update 18th, March. I forgot where I read it from though... But it was posted by a Microsoft person...

So Izzy, We are both in Australia... Check Windows updates Next Wednesday for SP1 :-)
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#11 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

I called Microsoft yesterday and they told me you can download the BETA off the site? I have my own copies of it from a friend but I didn't notice much difference in it.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'm gonna check windows update first thing tuesday and/or wednesday for SP1 update though. I'm getting some syndrome because my OS is not current because SP1 is out there.

#13 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

I just heard it will be out late March or early April

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

I just heard it will be out late March or early April

Didn't you read earlier posts???? 18 or 19th of March.

#15 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:09 AM

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-SP1-R...xes-80967.shtml

Confirmed. 18th March.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users