Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vrs Hp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

The wify and I are looking for a new laptop. We’re not gamers, but we like to take pics, watch vids, and burn ‘em. The internals will be subject to our bank account at the time.

But my real question is about Dell.
Two of my friends had bad HDD in their pc from Dell. I know that’s not typical. But they wouldn’t give them an os disk with the new HDD and there was no way of copying it. We would call Dell and they say it’s covered under warranty (bad block) and they would ship them a new HDD w/the os on it. The catch was that you had to pay extra every year for that warranty every year. So I got on the phone and asked the tech how we should honor the MS os agreement. That is that if you sell it you are required to either remove the os or supply them w/the disks. Aren’t they actually two separate things? There is an MS sticker on their machines. I told them that was a form of extortion. I asked the tech what he did with his pc. He said he built his and bought the os separately. I responded by saying, “you just made my point. It took a week of bantering w/Dell techs and they finally mailed the disks w/ a new HDD already to go.

Does Dell still fight people on this issue? Are there other makers that have the same practices?

I call Dell and they won’t directly answer me. They send me to tech department, but since I can’t confirm that I own one, they elude the question and send me to sales.

igo

Edited by igonuts2, 15 January 2008 - 02:24 AM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

Simple solution. Build a PC or have one built by a Tech you trust. Oh yeah, get the full bore OS disks too.

I use Toshiba's.... except for some garage sale junk - buyer beware.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

what a novel idea. build one. i need to get some learn'n on the nuts & bolts 'bout pcs.

igo
Why work when you can play!

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:54 AM

And when you build it or have it built its exactly what you want (like my desktop.. everything I wanted except the small HDD)

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users