Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor Performance And Bad Audio Playback

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hello BC community! Recently, within the last few weeks, my computer has been running sluggish and my audio is choppy when I play anything on my laptop. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

Hi pjpfeifer, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

That's a little thin to go on, could tell us what make and model your computer is, and maybe what your system specs are?

Have you run any scans for viruses or malware?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

I would just add the two basic maintenance programs: chkdsk and defrag.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Chkdsk should be run before defragging, if you elect to run these.

Louis

#4 allforfun_28

allforfun_28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Sounds like something else is running somewhere that is eating up your system resources. System specs would help lots.

#5 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

Sorry for the minimal info. Duh.
I have a Toshiba M100 Satellite Laptop, XP home, 1Gig of RAM, Intel Centrino Duo 1.83 GHz, 60 Gigs HD. I use the AVG Free Edition and just installed Spybot SD Resident. I do the defrag and scandisc pretty regularly out of habit. I think that's what was asked for.
thanks again!

#6 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

I tried the suggestions above but they don't help. anyone please help!
thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

When you run your scans do you run them in Safe Mode, if not try doing there as it is the most effective way due to the minimal amount of applications running.

You could try updating the Audio drivers in the Device Manager. Also check for loose connections to your speakers if they are external.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

Over time Windows tends to get a bit bloated with all the stuff that's added on to it. Please let us know how many icons are in your system Tray (Notification Area) - that's the area next to the time in the lower right corner of your desktop. Also, please open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. At the bottom it will tell you how many processes are running - please let us know that information also. To get to Task Manager, press Ctrl-Alt-Del
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thanks USASMA.

Processes = 74
System Tray = 21

After running the disc defrag, which my computer suggested I didn't need but I did regardless, the choppy audio didn't improve.
It is definitely a system issue because my battery runs down much faster when the laptop is unplugged.

I recently started using AT&T for my ISP and added, foolishly, their High Speed Internet installer CS software to my computer it slowed... way... down. I think that may be the culprit.

I just want my computer back.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

I recently started using AT&T for my ISP and added, foolishly, their High Speed Internet installer CS software to my computer it slowed... way... down. I think that may be the culprit.

Another thing to check. I've noticed a lot of ISP's push their own anti-virus programs as a promotion. Make sure that wasn't included and you're running 2 AV applications
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

79 processes is an awful lot (as is 29 items in the system tray) - I'd suggest opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and clicking on the Processes tab.

Once in the Processes tab, click on the View menu item and then on Select Columns. In the next dialog, put a check next to PID and IO Reads. The PID will list a number for each process (which we may need if this involves svchost.exe). IO Reads will note how often each process is accessing your hard drive (a major factor in some system slowdowns).

Once that's done, drag the Task Manager window so it's bigger and you can see all of the columns. Double click on the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns (to bring the large numbers for each to the top) - and see what numbers are the highest. What you'll be looking for is significant differences between the top numbers and the numbers just below it. For example, if the top IO Read number is 389,000 and the next one is 35,000 - that's a huge difference. So, presumably the larger one is malfunctioning.

Let us know the names of the processes that seem to be out of line and we'll make some suggestions on how to fix them.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you eliminate some of the processes that aren't needed as this is taking up a lot of your resources and is contributing to the slowdown. You can start by identifying the items in the system tray and either uninstall them or tell them not to start when Windows starts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the help usasma! I really appreciate the help in figuring out my computer.
I removed a few things from my system tray.

Here is the rundown:

I/O Reads
avgamsvr.exe 213,000
csrss.exe 200,000
avgcc.exe 116,000
ati2evxx.exe 49,000
lsass.exe 21,000

Mem Usage
firefox.exe 64,000
WINWORD.exe 36,000
TeaTimer.exe 33,000
svchost.exe 27,000

There is no significant difference in the PID column.

I listed the first few to show the drop off in each category.
Any thoughts of what I do now?

Thanks again.

Jordan

#13 pjpfeifer

pjpfeifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Garmanma

I checked it out and there are no other AV apps running. I the csrss.exe is a virus.

thanks for the direction

Jordan

#14 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

Hmm..this is because of what usasma had mentioned. Something like a scanner or application that ate a lot of resources from your system. The ctrl-alt-del maybe a definite answer but you can try to disable all task in your startup.

1. Go to start - run - type msconfig
2) On the startup tab, view all the listed task and disable all by unchecking it.
3) On the services tab, there is a "hide all microsoft services" box, check it and view the remaining services. Uncheck the uncommon ones or even all.

Give it a reboot. Hope it will help. Maybe then you can slowly troubleshoot which software of or application is giving you the hard time. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

It appears that something is using the heck out of your csrss.exe process. But the AVG is about as high - was it doing a scan when you got these numbers? If so, wait until the scan is done before recording the numbers.

The first suspect would be your AVG - so I'd suggest uninstalling it and then reinstalling a freshly downloaded copy to rule out any ocrruption i it.

Your ATI video card drivers have a lot of access going on also - so try updating them.
After that I'd look at the TeaTimer (because of previous problems with it) - and would consider updating to the latest available version of SpyBot Search & Destroy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users