Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Godaddy & Ftp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TJMax

TJMax

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

I'm trying to build my site by uploading pages with an FTP program (SmartFTP), but I can't establish a connection. I'm using the following settings:
Address: tjswoboda.com (my domain name)
Login: (The eight digit number I use to log in to Godaddy's site)
Password (Same password that I use for Godaddy's site)
Port: 21
Anonymous is not checked, of course. It occurred to me to check active vs. passive mode, but it seems to be absent from the current version of SmartFTP.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Thanks!

--T.J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hi T.J.,

Can you be more specific when you say that you can't establish a connection? Are you getting error messages, and if so, what do they say? I assume that SmartFTP produces a log, and it might provide you with more information.

Also, I'm thinking the address could possibly be wrong. Not that you've got your domain name wrong, but that Godaddy might have some kind of switch you should be using.

Another possibility, are you sure that your domain name has been resolved to the Godaddy servers? Even if it hasn't, there should still be an address you can use to upload. Do they provide you with a control panel? If there's a file manager included, you should be able to upload that way (not as fast as FTP) until you figure out the FTP problem.

More questions than answers at this point, I'm afraid.

#3 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:22 AM

SmartFTP gives me the following:
[22:19:27] SmartFTP v2.5.1008.27
[22:19:27] Resolving host name "tjswoboda.com"
[22:19:28] Connecting to 208.109.78.74 Port: 21
[22:19:28] Connected to tjswoboda.com.
[22:19:28] 220 Microsoft FTP Service
[22:19:28] USER 10917590
[22:19:28] 331 Password required for 10917590.
[22:19:28] PASS (hidden)
[22:19:28] 530 User 10917590 cannot log in.

It seems like I may have the password wrong, but it's the same password I use to log into Godaddy's site. As for using the site builder at www.godaddy.com , that's even more confusing. :thumbsup: My domain name seems good to go: www.tjswoboda.com gives their holder page.

Thanks!

--T.J.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

Yep, definitely looks like a password issue. You should probably check with Godaddy to see if they assign a password to you. That's often done for FTPing.

ETA: Also, for the sake of security, you really shouldn't use the same password, anyway.

Edited by Dialer, 15 January 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#5 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

Hey TJ,

Did you receive an email from Godaddy showing what your login info should be? Often times hosts will send emails with the address and your login and password to use.

Have you tried ftp.tjswoboda.com?

Although to me too it seems like it might be your password.

If you aren't sure, you can always contact godaddy themselves and you should be able to get your login ID and password and what the address is to log into.

Let us know how it goes and if you have anymore questions and/or answers, please ask!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users