Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Won't Display...and I Have No Idea Why.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SideburnSteve

SideburnSteve

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

So I have a somewhat odd problem, at least to me.

So my brother came home and his monitor wasn't displaying anything. Fearing it was the video card, I took his pc and plugged my monitor into it...nothing.
Figuring it was his video card, I plugged my monitor back into my pc and now it won't display anything either, not even the BIOS screen at boot, even though it was working when I had it on my pc literally a minute before...

Should probably mention we both use DVI on LCD monitors.

My pc never interacted with my brothers and I didn't touch anything else besides the monitor cable connecting to my pc.

I've checked for bent pins, tried using the VGA inputs and cable, turned off both monitor/pc and let them sit a bit before trying again.

I've taken the VGA and DVI cables from my pc and plugged it into my brothers monitor with no luck, however plugging the VGA cable from my notebook into my monitor worked fine, so I know my monitor works.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I have a Radeon x850 and my brother has a GeForce 6600 if that helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by SideburnSteve, 14 January 2008 - 10:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

Did you check for bent pins on the monitor cable plug?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SideburnSteve

SideburnSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Indeed, I've checked for bent pins on every cable/device involved and everything is fine. :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

All I can suggest is to take a voltmeter and check for abnormal voltages on the video output on your brother's computer that might have damaged a circuit or, if you're lucky, blown a fuse in the monitors
Mark
Pinout and voltages
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 SideburnSteve

SideburnSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'll dig out my voltmeter and test it, but I know the monitor works, as I've plugged this notebook into it and it displayed perfectly.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

I'll dig out my voltmeter and test it, but I know the monitor works, as I've plugged this notebook into it and it displayed perfectly.

Check the monitor DVI cable pins for continuity, maybe there's an internal break?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users