Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting A Pic As Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

I have searched and searched and so far have not found how to set a pic as wallpaper that looks right. It always comes out squashed somewhat. I found the instructions as to how to do this with Irfanview with a Google search but it did not work. There must be a way. Any input appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

What OS are you using? Also, what are the current dimensions and file format for the image you're trying to use?

Edited by Dialer, 14 January 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

What OS are you using? Also, what are the current dimensions and file format for the image you're trying to use?

Windows XP Home and screen resolution 1024x 768

Edited by bicycle bill, 14 January 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Windows XP Home and screen resolution 1024x 768

JPG and 148X177

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

That's a really small image to use as desktop wallpaper.

Were you trying to enlarge and resize it in IV to fit your screen res? I imagine it came out looking very pixelated. The squished look would have been a result of not having used the same proportions in IV as the original image.

If you don't expect it cover your entire desktop, my recollection of XP is that you have an option to center it. The result would be a plain background (I think you can change the color to match) surrounding the 148 X 177 image in the center.

Edited by Dialer, 14 January 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

That's a really small image to use as desktop wallpaper.

Were you trying to enlarge and resize it in IV to fit your screen res? I imagine it came out looking very pixelated. The squished look would have been a result of not having used the same proportions in IV as the original image.

If you don't expect it cover your entire desktop, my recollection of XP is that you have an option to center it. The result would be a plain background (I think you can change the color to match) surrounding the 148 X 177 image in the center.

Thanks I will let you know if I am succesful. It is not unlike trying to nail Jello to the wall.

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

LOL - very much like nailing Jello to the wall!

I'd definitely like to know if you're successful, and would also be glad to try helping further if you're not. Good luck! We can also call in some "real" experts, you know. :thumbsup:

#8 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:59 PM

LOL - very much like nailing Jello to the wall!

I'd definitely like to know if you're successful, and would also be glad to try helping further if you're not. Good luck! We can also call in some "real" experts, you know. :thumbsup:

Well I made the pic larger and then sized it to 1024X1000 with Irfanview . I had Irfanview set it as wallpaper as centered and it came out acceptable. THe only thing is some inperfections are showing now that were not visible before with the smaller size. THis is probably more info than you want but anyway this is the pic. It is of my wife of 44 years. She is 28 here. My Japanese doll. We are 72 and 78 respectivly now.

Posted Image

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

That wasn't at all more info than I wanted. It's always good to know how people work out their solutions, since that might help someone else. The picture works quite well, except for some artifacts on her blouse. You should be well pleased with your results. :thumbsup:

I can see why you wanted that photo of your wife as your wallpaper. She's very lovely there, and I bet she still is! As for age, I'm not too far behind the two of you. Congratulations on such a long life together! And thanks for posting the picture.

Edited to add: Forgot to ask earlier.... Would you post the link where you found the Irfanview instructions? Thanks!

Edited by Dialer, 14 January 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#10 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

You are so nice. Thank you nice lady.

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

Thank you for saying so, and you're most welcome. :thumbsup:

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

Also, I believe selecting "center" rather than "stretch" will help to keep your image proportional, although it might leave a slight border around the edges. You can try resizing the photo so that it's the same as the monitor resolution you're using, which might center it taking up most of, if not all of the screen.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users