Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zip File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zippy88

zippy88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have windoow XP2
I read the instructions on beepingcomputer.com about how to "create a zip folder. I then followed the direction and made an emty .zip folder.
The instruction thenn say to go to the file (in my case it's a >JPG that I am trying to make into a .zip...
and drag the .JPG to the newly created .zip folder.
It says ...then m jpg will be a .zip.
I dragged the .jpg (which was 202KB and pasted into the .ZIP folder.
It is now 172KB...but the file txtention still reads .jpg....
according to the instruction (om beepping computer ) the file ext of a compressed zip file should be .zip

So how do I know it's a zip file? or maybe it isn't a zip file.
I am trying to take a .jpg of my property tax bil ...which I scanned into my compuuter as a jpg...and ,ake it a .zip..so that I can send it along with my income taxes when I e-file.

Mod Edit: Moved to the proper forum. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 15 January 2008 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zippy88

zippy88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

I THINK I may have figured out the answer to my own question. When I send this jpg (as described in my above post)...I need to attach the entire .zip file folder...
then the folder goes where I send it...
And the receipient will receive the .zip folder...and he opens that.(by extracting it.
CORRECT????
so I don't send a .jpg attachment...but I send the .jpg IN a .zip folder. is that correct?
I tried sending the .zip file from my regular e-mail to my hotmail account.
It arrived at hotmail as a folder...which then would open to show the jpg. And I suppose if it was at someone else's computer...it would need to be extracted...CORRECT?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I could be wrong, but I think it's a little more involved for .jpegs.
http://pixel-zip-decompressor
http://downloads.zdnet.com/

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

Welcome to BP zippy

With a name like that I would have thought you now how to make zip files. :thumbsup:

Anyway the easiest way for make a zip file is to open Explorer. Make a new folder called what ever name you want for you zip file e.g. Pictures.

Copy all the files you want to add to your zip file into this new folder. If you want different categories then just make a new sub folder inside the original and put your files in there.

Then when its all done just right-click on the new folder name and select Add to foldername.zip. If you want to add more files to this zip just open it and click the Add button. Find the additional files which you can use multi-select using the Ctrl key whilst clicking on the files.

I have windoow XP2

P.S. You have posted in the wrong forum.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users