Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dispay Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cattch08

cattch08

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

HELP, When i start up windows xp the screen goes funny and black and looks like how do i explain like black tartan. The windows logo starts up then the screen goes black and turns off. I can get into safe mode but half the letters are missing and there are black squares on the screen tried clicking go back to a good setup but nothing works, i tried another screen but that was the same was told it might not be worth fixing and another computer was required.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

I am assuming that you have a motherboard with an integrated video. If that is the case, just get a cheap PCI video card and see if that brings it back to life. Or maybe it has an AGP or PCI-express slot?

Definitely sounds like a video problem. The rest of the computer may be running fine, behind what you can see.

Hope this helps.

DR

#3 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thnx i have a nvidia g force 6700xl what video cards would fit cheaper the better lots on e bay but not sure if they will fit.thanks AL

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

You can spend a little at New Egg and still get a decent card, and its new.

Stay with the GeoForce series. I recall getting a 6500 for $50.

But just try anything before you spend your money, if you can. Eliminate that it might be the motherboard.

DR

#5 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

renewed graphics card everything seems ok except when i click START-LOG OFF- SWITCH USER the computer restarts any ideas guys

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive55-2005-12-260777.html

read this link and that overclocked video card
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

Hi thnx for reply but i upgraded the video card to a geforce 7300gs but cant change users as it reboots if i click log off then log on to someone else that works. All settings in display are ok any ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users