Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Highest Video Compression

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

ive filmed small videos for projects and put them in usb, and I dont know which format of codec eg.avi, mpeg and wmv gives the best compression with the similar quality? It doesnt have to be full HD quality but at least average VCD to SVCD quality for sampling.

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

.avi in the format of divx has always been really good, I think. You can get a free trial of the software and the codec at divx.com

the codec is free, just to mention, because I'm pretty sure I didn't clarify it enough. Most of the .avi stuff I see is good quality. I don't see much terrible stuff like I see in tons of .wmv and such files.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:47 AM

i just tried convertinig my recorded videos into avi, they are in superb quality but so big!! I need to make them fit into my 1g pen drive.

any other suggestions?

I have 6 clips which average is about 230mb each

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

Maybe MPEG?
It all depends though. How long are your videos?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

its about 35 mins each, ill give MPEG a try

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:10 AM

If you don't have any luck with MPEG you could maybe try MP4

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

MP4? My converter doesnt support that. but i found a good website on videohelp.com, they might give me straight answers.

i should really just get a bigger pen drive, lol.

thx 4 all da help :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

3 1/2 hours of video

even in ipod format that's not going to fit a 1 gig usb drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 IcedOut3

IcedOut3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

From my experience MP4 is about 20% bigger than AVI. I always use ImTOO MP4 Converter but the smallest file size I have ever gotten it to would be with AVI without noticeable quality loss

Just a point here; if you want the LOWEST size witht eh LEAST quality you can convert it into .3GP that's what mobiles use and you can get a 20MB file at around 2-3MB

Edited by IcedOut3, 16 January 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#10 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

Just a point here; if you want the LOWEST size witht eh LEAST quality you can convert it into .3GP that's what mobiles use and you can get a 20MB file at around 2-3MB

That isn't always so. I have a 4 minute video file in the 3gp format and its 11 MB

#11 IcedOut3

IcedOut3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:41 AM

That isn't always so. I have a 4 minute video file in the 3gp format and its 11 MB

:thumbsup: Never seen that before, I usually get my 4-5 mins videos FROM 10-15MB into 3-5MB

#12 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

:thumbsup: Never seen that before, I usually get my 4-5 mins videos FROM 10-15MB into 3-5MB

Its an absolute pain. Because the videos that are around that size are taking up a fair amount of space on my mobile's memory card :flowers:

#13 IcedOut3

IcedOut3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Its an absolute pain. Because the videos that are around that size are taking up a fair amount of space on my mobile's memory card :trumpet:

I agree my mobile memory is only 20MB but I manage to have about 4-5 videos with 5-6 songs fairly comfortably :flowers:

#14 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

I have A 1GB SanDisk miniSD and its almost full. And I don't think the 2GB is compatible with my phone <.<
Oh well.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users