Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Key Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

I was wondering if a Windows XP key can be used more then once on different computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Nope.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Maybe Orange Blosson answered legally.

But i used my XP with the same key on many many computers and i always format and reinstall with no problems ever.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

Maybe Orange Blosson answered legally.

But i used my XP with the same key on many many computers and i always format and reinstall with no problems ever.

Unless you've got a special license from Microsoft for educational use or Government use, then legally it's one key per computer. Any thing else (or any other uses) would be illegal.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:33 AM

I believe you can use it on another computer as long as the first instalation has been uninstalled. If your computer died and you bought a new one, there's nothing stopping you installing windows and using the ID key on the new computer.As was stated only one machine can be using the ID key.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:57 AM

I believe you can use it on another computer as long as the first instalation has been uninstalled.

Not according to the licensing agreement between you and Microsoft.
Actually, this is not legal without paying Microsoft. The license is for ONE computer, and is NOT transferrable. Also, there may be something that will stop you from succeeding at following that advice, and that is activation. You may have trouble activating the new installation of XP.

If your computer died and you bought a new one, there's nothing stopping you installing windows and using the ID key on the new computer.

Again, actually yes there is something that may stop you. Activation. Even if you have made significant hardware changes to your existing computer the new installation of XP may not activate successfully. Microsoft considers a replacement of the motherboard as a 'new' computer. Theoritically, your instace of XP is 'married' to the original motherboard (for licensing purposes).

Now, the above statements are for most licenses and there are exceptions. There are certain RETAIL versions of XP that may allow you to install and activate after a motherboard replacement, or even a different computer if the first instance has been uninstalled. However, 99.9% of home users do not have a RETAIL license. You must pay a lot of money for this license, even though the software is the same. Most home users have what is called an OEM license (original equipment manufacturer). And my comments are aimed that OEM licenses.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

There's no reason to resort to "I believe" or "I think" when discussing applicable EULAs governing terms of use for Windows.

They are a matter of public record, freely available for reading by anyone who really wants to know...and is not merely trying to convince themselves of the legality of a particular stratagem.

One way of finding them:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?m...-US&q=EULAs

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2008 - 09:38 AM.

#8 allforfun_28

allforfun_28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

The activation online might not work but you can still use the phone in number and activate no trouble at all. Just make sure when they ask how many computers you have it installed on that you say "just this one". Have done this lots of times while changing operating systems back and forth from vista to XP. Grrr.

#9 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

I "BELEIVE" if you read the following my statement will be correct.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:(End-User License Agreement)

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Which I stated above.

The statement below would be the same as installing on a new computer.

1.2 Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this EULA are limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first install the Software unless you supply information required to activate your licensed copy in the manner described during the setup sequence of the Software. You can activate the Software through the use of the Internet or telephone; toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software. There are technological measures in this Software that are designed to prevent unlicensed use of the Software. Microsoft will use those measures to confirm you have a legally licensed copy of the Software. If you are not using a licensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed to install the Software or future Software updates. Microsoft will not collect any personally identifiable information from your Workstation Computer during this process.

I believe you can use it on another computer as long as the first instalation has been uninstalled. If your computer died and you bought a new one, there's nothing stopping you installing windows and using the ID key on the new computer.As was stated only one machine can be using the ID key. I stand by what I said.

You pay for the license to use XP. How many times should you have to pay.

Edited by Manshead, 15 January 2008 - 10:45 AM.

#10 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

Sorry guys for my previous post i was just answering technichly, i am not trying to encourage anyone about any legal activities or bying or using any pirated copies of any software.

In my country it is normal to do that , thats the way things is done here.

sorry again.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

That's the way it's done worldwide, if one can believe claims of piracy.

The fact that some choose a certain course of action...has never been known to make that the correct or legal course of action. If you look around, you will see that.

I believe the original question was not one of what transpires based on the attitudes of some...but one of legality and/or correctness.

I could be wrong, but most persons don't bother to ask whether something can be done...if they have any intent of doing anything other than the correct, proper thing.

Or maybe that's just me...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#12 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

Quote from Louis "I believe the original question was not one of what transpires based on the attitudes of some...but one of legality and/or correctness"
I thought I had answered the legalities, I quoted from Microsoft.
It could be a worrying problem for some, has anyone else got any ideas.

Edited by Manshead, 15 January 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Your answer fits ONE type of license issued by Microsoft...when consumers purchase the varying types of licenses, each of which has a separate EULA.

Those persons who purchase any OEM version of XP...whether it's purchased first-hand (like my 9 licenses) from a vendor by a "system builder" or whether it's purchased second-hand from a boxmaker like Gateway, Dell, HP, eMachines, etc...are bound by the terms of the OEM EULA.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

Those persons who obtain retail versions of XP from vendors authorized to sell such (XP is not installed on a system)...are bound by the terms of the retail EULAs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

Those persons who obtain XP as the result of volume licensing agreements are bound by the terms of the applicable volume license EULA.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

It all seems pretty clear to me and I am not the most intelligent person in the known universe :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

The End User License Agreement is a legal agreement. As is typical with many legal matters, there is a lot that's subject to interpretation.

My interpretation of the EULA is that it's legal to use the OEM version for the "system" that it was purchased for and installed on. When you activate (over the phone) you're given some pretty strong clues about what Microsoft considers the "system" to be (certain changes are significant, as is the question about how many "systems" that you've installed it on. But that's still an opinion.

So then it's your opinion against their opinion. Who's right? Well, that's why lawyers make a living, and why the courts are so busy - they make the determination when 2 parties can't agree.

We offer advice here based upon our experiences - and experiences (along with opinions) may differ. "Caveat Emptor"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users