Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Fails To Run

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hi

I have a 3yr old PC that was healthy and in need of a format for cleaning purposes so that it could get back up to speed again but the other day it just stopped working. Switched it on one morning and the boot loader no longer appeared (dual-boot used to offer Ubuntu options before). Instead an error screen appears with the following message:

/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I do not have any Setup CD-ROMs as the PC came pre-installed and the only option I have to reformat it is from a partition on the hard drive which is an option offered before the system loads. However if I do this it will wipe my hard drive and I will lose all my data. I have since unplugged the affected hard drive and my Ubuntu installation does successfully run from the secondary HDD.

Can you help me fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by benny269, 14 January 2008 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Hello,

Without CDs thats going to be difficult. Do you have the facility to either set the bad HDD as a slave, or use it as an external? doing this will let you get your files off the drive using Ubuntu.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Use Ubuntu to retrieve your data on your XP partition, then run the XP setup from the pre-installed partition and reinstall Windows XP?

Hope that helps!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Yeah this is the solution I am aware of but I was hoping you could suggest something that would take me back to the position I was in before whcih gives me a little more time to prepare for a format and for me to detail exactly what I had installed etc etc.

Something along the lines of a system restore or equivalent that would take my OS back to working conditions would be ideal. Any suggestions?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

The main problem with that, is that you don't have a windows XP CD, If you did, the process of repairing would be fairly staightforward. The only other options that I can recommend would be to either boot up in safe mode, but as your config is most likely corrupt, it would not get very far. You could try booting from the last known configuration, but if it has saved the damaged configuration, you will be back to square one.
The last option that I could think off which might work, would be to copy files from an XP computer and use Ubuntu to put them in the right place.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

How do I boot into safe mode or the last known configuration? I would like to try those before drastic measures.

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

Read this BleepingComputer Tutorial for How to start Windows in Safe Mode.

Check this For Last Known Known Good Configuration.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

What is the make and model of your system - many system manufacturers offer a restore CD that'll get you back up and running for about $20. Some of them can even be used to perform a repair install of Windows (to fix your Windows without losing your data or programs).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users