Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreamfall-longest Journey 2 Crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

Ok, I have had a hell of a time trying to play Dreamfall on my new graphics card, EVGA 8800GT Super-overclocked. The game crashes after a few minutes of flawless play. The game locks up, red artifacts appear all over the screen, and the computer locks up, causing me to switch off pc at the back.

system specs:

Intel core 2 duo e6600 @ 2.4ghz
2gb Crucial ballistix ram ddr800 set at 4-4-4-12
EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI MB
EVGA 8800GT Super-overclocked 512MB
610 watt psu
Swaps hard drives between XP and Vista

Have upgraded to latest Nvidia drivers, upgraded to latest patch on Dreamfall. At first I thought Vista was having problems with the game, but nope, it does it on my XP system drive too. Have heard that upgrading Starforce drivers fixes the problem, but can't find the drivers installed on my system, so no need to update what I don't have. Have heard the downgrading to earlier video drivers has solved the problem on GeForce 7 series cards, but is not wise for newer GeForce 8 series cards as the drivers will only work so far back. Does the same thing whether I use my 6cd version of the game or my friend's dvd version. I've thought of everything under the sun, but my system refuses to run the game well. Anybody have a similar problem with the same game?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

Well the Dreamfall web site recommends Xp so what you can try is run it in compatibility mode. Right click on the icon >properties>compatibility>XP SP2>then slow the game down a bit with a lower setting and keep experimenting.

Sorry I saw the XP bit after I posted so down grade the graphics, your card may be too fast but it is only a recent game.

Edited by Monty007, 14 January 2008 - 09:32 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:41 AM

Well, I may have fixed the problem...maybe. I haven't had graphical glitches in over the last hour anyway. If I do, I will update with the failure. Am running the game in XP.

I did two things all at once:

1. Upgraded to latest Forceware beta driver. Downgrading to old drivers on my card, which was released in November of 2007, is simply not an option at this early stage of the card's life span.
2. Set cpu core affinity to Core 1 so that the game runs on just one cpu core (A task manager option with dual core processors). I had heard that this game was having problems in the past running on dual core machines on GeForce 7 series cards. Maybe a similar problem applies to 8 series.

If it is indeed fixed, I suspect that #2 solution may have done the trick.

#4 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Okay...no, it did it again. It just really sucks that I am playing a fairly recent game and my card locks up on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users