Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Possible Spyware/virus, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

Hi, my machine has been working fine up until now but this morning when I switched it on there seems to be something trying to run every 5 or 10 seconds which deactivates the active running window for a few seconds (a real pain when you are trying to type!)

I've had a look at the processes in task manager and it looks like a file called skinker.exe seems to be the cause as it shows for a second or two and then disappears, then the process is repeated indefinately.

I've been wanting to tidy up everything as I'm sure there's a load of junk which can be loaded as and when needed - is there any way of removing unwanted system tray items?

Home someone can help - much appreciated

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:07 AM

Further to my previous post, I have uninstalled Sky News desktop alerts which has solved the problem... so obviously the other posts were correct and skinker.exe is something to do with the Sky Alerts programme. Still confused as to why it suddenly started to act irrationally but never mind! Maybe the BBC's alerts will be less problematic!

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hi mattbronson sorry for the delay in answering your post.
If you still need help could you please post back a Hjt log.
I need to see this to be able to help you.

Please download and install HijackThis by following the instructions in Step 9 of the Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.
Thanks

Starbuck

BBPP6nz.png

#4 Guest_mattbronson_*

Guest_mattbronson_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

This can be closed - problem solved thanks

Edited by mattbronson, 27 February 2008 - 04:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users