Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gmsti

gmsti

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

I had run the disc clean-up and registry smart software to clean up issues with my computer freezing up. I then ran the disc defrag during which my computer froze. I couldn't get it to restart defrag using contl/alt/del functions, so I did a hard shut down. Now I cannot get my cpu to boot to windows. I just get a black screen when I turn it on. Did I mess up bad???? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

When doing a defrag, its best to just leave it to do its thing; stopping it can cause some problems. Did you backup your registry before you cleaned?
Have you tried booting up in safe mode?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 gmsti

gmsti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

When I turn on the computer, it doesn't even let me get to the screen to boot up in safe mode....it's just a black screen.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

This could be a hardware fault then. When you press the power button, can you hear the PC starting up fans spinning and so on?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

does the computer make beep sound?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

You might try running chkdsk /r on the drive from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

FWIW: The only thing that I know to cause defrag locking up...are hard drive errors of some sort. Maybe chkdsk /r can sort those out.

Louis

#7 gmsti

gmsti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

I think you guys are correct. I have hardware issues. I turned on the cpu last night, and it went to Windows- only had lost my admin configuration. I believe that when the cpu runs for awhile, and gets hot...that's when it starts locking up. It has to be hardware related. I tried to run Registry Smart in the Safe Mode and again it locked up before even going into Windows. It locked up in the Windows start up mode. Maybe it's just time for a new computer

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Can you enter the BIOS? If so, then check the temperature, if it goes to 60 degrees or higher it will be a temperature problem. If not then its most likely windows having problems.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

If the computer is over heating or just to be on the safe side, this site may help. http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

Edited by Manshead, 15 January 2008 - 10:57 AM.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#10 gmsti

gmsti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Wow Alan...I wish I were that smart :thumbsup: I think it probably would be easier for me to go buy a new computer than to try to enter BIOS
Thanks for your help, Gina

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Well...buying a new computer is one way of totally avoiding the problem.

You mind sending me your old computer (after you buy your new one, of course)...I'm pretty I can just run a disk check on it and correct those things you deem to be insurmountable :flowers:.

One person's write-off is another man's working system :thumbsup:. I have plenty of time to do whatever it takes.

Louis

#12 gmsti

gmsti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Maybe you're right...I'll try the disk ck before totally throwing it out. Unlike you, Louis, my problem IS time. I know the issue is fixable, but do I have the time to work on fixing it? I'm not that computer savy, so what may take you one minute could take me hours. Eventually I could get it working again. If I do give up and trash it, you are welcome to the spoils.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Noted :thumbsup:.

It doesn't take THAT long to run chkdsk on that drive...

Louis

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

If you ned help on a specific problem, feel free to ask, we will be happy to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users