Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Server Not Found Errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lilyphilia

lilyphilia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this.

Sometime last month, I obtained this random 'new malware.j' thing that attacked my services.exe and seemed to only be read by McAfee. I couldn't delete it until I turned system restore off, which I did, and got rid of it and turned restore back on. I tried to do more cleaning since I was in the mood, I made sure nothing came up on Ad-Aware & Spybot, ran CCleaner to get rid of temp files and unneeded regs from uninstallments, and did a chkdsk & defrag. Everything was working fine-- until I noticed my connection start to act up.

Out of nowhere I was, and still am, getting constant server not found notices and pictures missing on Firefox. If I refresh a few times I'm able to bypass it, but it's incredibly annoying? Thinking it was just Firefox, I tried surfing in IE and found IE to be even more worse than Firefox. Considering IE was always complicated for me, I tried to reinstall Firefox and still wasn't able to solve my problem. Safemode Firefox doesn't work either.

Looking up people with similar problems, I noticed McAfee sneaked a firewall on me and for sure thought that was the pure purpose of my browsing annoyance. Never really liking McAfee as my antivirus software choice to begin with, I uninstalled the whole program. I have no firewalls on currently, but still i'm unable to browse freely. I haven't done anything since to try to cure the problem and have just been trying to get use to it, I thought maybe since it's winter here my wireless was just going through some sort of weather malfunctions.

I haven't done any scans recently, I've been sort of tired trying to figure things out on my own. Any help would be really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

Hi lilyphilia, Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Lets try a few things here:
Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings
Click Okay twice.
Try your Browsers.

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.
If no joy....

Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click Okay.
Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click Okay.
Click Settings.
Click View Objects.
Click View, and then click Details.
If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

Try to browse the Internet.

Once a Registry Cleaner has been used, it's hard to say what might be wrong with a computer. Their potential for harming your operating system far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users