Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Terrible Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elephant113

elephant113

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

http://dealspl.us/HP-Pavilion-a6042n-b-Des...ssor-4200_52641

thats my comp, haven't bothered upgrading anything yet, so its stock.

i was thinking of buying this ram so i can have 3 gigs, the 32 bit vista max http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.c...10-AM42010.html (from different website though)

now this is where i need help, i would like to upgrade both my CPU and card for under $350. would this at all be possible? if so anyone have any links to what you recommend. my hopes is to be able to run crysis at medium with a smooth framerate, and cod4 maxed with a smooth frame rate.

i have no idea what info about my PSU is necessary but i wrote down everything written on it and if necessary ill post that info.

any help at all is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

what country are you from? see you could stick in an athlon 6000+ for 182$, and a radeon 3850 for $200...dont know about crysis at medium/cod4 at high, but would get you playable framerates in those game with tweaked visual options...oh and another 1gb of ram for 25/30$(generic/corsair valueselect!!)...i dont know if that motherboard supports pcie 2.0(i think that the card only reverts back to pcie1.0/1/1 or whatever that standard is anyway..)...and you may need a better psu..

(all prices are in aussie dollar!!)

goodluck
=)

#3 elephant113

elephant113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

inside my case it said the ram is PC2

also would it be worth the investment buying an 8800gt? (if their even compatible)

by the way I'm American, i just type terrible when I'm tired

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:17 AM

regarding your memory upgrade

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...paq&cat=RAM

these people know ram pretty well, try to match what you buy up with what they reccomend
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

yea the 8800gt's are pretty good!! i would recommend them (if you can get your hands on one that is!!!)

goodluck
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users