Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareblaster

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

Link provided, and I know it says it's not compatible with Vista, but maybe that info has not been updated in a while. Anyway, does anyone have comments regarding this spyware program, and can anyone confirm if it works with Vista Home Premium? Thank you.

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/300...4.html?tag=list

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

I don't know if it works with VISTA, but the way it works is that it puts code into your computer to prevent spyware from getting onto your computer. It is not a running process. Once installed, all you have to do is update it on a regular basis - at least once a week - and make sure that all items are protected.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

I use it with Vista Home Premium, and it works just fine. :thumbsup:

Don't recall if I downloaded it from download.com or directly from the developer's site, but I think maybe the latter. There's probably a newer version there, in any event.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

Yes works with Vista
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
Javacool Software
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

So, would it get a thumbs up from the users here? It seems to be a decent one.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

:thumbsup:

I really like it. Just remember to keep its definitions updated on a regular basis. You have to do that manually with the free edition. I usually update two or three times a week.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

SpywareBlaster blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. It also restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again.

SpywareBlaster adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID's of known spyware. Every program has a CLass ID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update.

Note: If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster and IE-SPYAD together, there is some overlap of protection. Each one offers a different list but they are not completely identical. Thus, if you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users