Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connection speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cupah20

cupah20

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

does anybody kno' how fast the internet cable and dsl speed is? what is the difference in speed between the normal and lite version internet connection? and how do they identify the normal speed vs. lite speed subscriber when you connect? is it by sofware or is the lite version just routed to a slower server???

how do i measure/monitor the speed of my internet connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

Hmm lots of questions...

It really depends on your service provider. Cable offers usually at least 2 megs download and 1 meg upload. DSL starts at 768-1.5mb download and 384 upload.

They have the ability to limit the bandwidth on a line, so lite is probably them rate limiting you

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

He is right it varies greatly . And it's different all over the country . I live in Baton Rouge and use Cox Cable . We have 3 plans
1) 5mb/768kb ( The one I personally use)
2) 4mb/512mb
3) 256kb/256kb

We have several DSL provider and they vary about the same topping out at 2.5 mb . I have play on most of them , except for the 256kb and found them to be simular . Even on large files your connection wont be a telling as the restrictions imposed by the download site (most about 200kb +\-) . Some as hight as 525kb I have found . I have 12 computers wired at the house for my kids and thier friends . My 70 year old mother is on 256kb/128 DSL and using only one computer . I find little difference in speed . As a matter of fact I don't think the restriction on speed are very closely watched , because I update her computer to XP Home sp2 at 320 kbs .
The bottm line is if you are going broadband start low and move up . If you need it .
Cox is $24.95 for 256kb BellSouth is as low as $24.95 for 256kb and they go up . If you only have one computer , even if you stream music Cable\DSL Lite may fit the bill . If not trust me they won't complain about you upgrading .
I hope this helpped .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users