Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsing Is Normal Speed, But Downloads Are Unusually Slow.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

My computer has been unusually slow in the last month and a half. After defragmenting it about a month ago, the computer stopped up for a few hours before restarting again, almost as good as new. I use a broadband internet connection with a wireless router. Browsing is fast enough but when downloading files, never larger than 60 MB, the transfer rate plummets from about 95 KB/sec to about 15 KB/sec. When the computer was working well, it would be up to 150 KB/sec or more. I use Norton Antivirus, which is updated regularly. I followed the instructions given in the "Slow Computer" thread, and on some other sites. I ran a full system scan, did chkdsk for errors, unchecked some programs so that they would not start upon starting the computer, and nothing has worked. Downloads are still slow. The slow download time also affects the speed of browsing. Please, what can I do to fix this? If there is any information about the computer you need to help, I can give you that. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Have you tried dumping your cache?

Clear Your IE Cache (Windows) - http://webdesign.about.com/cs/internetexpl...learcacheie.htm

When you say "download" are you referring to items you transfer to your hard drive? If so, how much free space on this drive?

Depending on how much a drive is used...monthly defragging is not sufficient, IMO.

When was the last time the drive was scanned by chkdsk?

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#3 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thank you for helping me. I clear my cache regularly. I am referring to items on the hard drive. I think there is a good amount of space still left there, because when I download files, they are usually music that I delete shortly after I'm done. I don't believe I have any especially large unnecessary items on the hard drive, certainly no new ones I didn't have before the problem started. Anything else it could be?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Do you have anything else transferring data when you are downloading? Programs auto-updating for example? Mail downloading?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Nope. Just a web browser.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance you could have firewall issues?

#7 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

Not only the above but it would help if we knew your ISP as some throttle the D/L

#8 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

Not sure what "throttle the D/L is," but it's Verizon. I use the firewall with Norton, and I think a windows firewall, too. But there is one development: today, the download speed is up from about 15 KB per sec to 102 KB ps. This is acceptable if I can't do anything else. While scanning with spybot, I saw numerous files with Zlob in their names. Would running Smitfraudfix.exe and doing the steps on the generic zlob removal thread help?

#9 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

I ran Smitfraudfix, and there doesn't seem to be any improvement from 102 KB ps. And I have about 90 GB of free space on the harddrive, so I don't think that that is the issue.

Edited by bobwalrus5, 19 January 2008 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

I use the firewall with Norton, and I think a windows firewall, too.

You should have only 1 firewall running. Please make sure to shut down the windows firewall if it isn't already. Having two firewalls running can create many problems.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 bobwalrus5

bobwalrus5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'm sorry to mislead you, I have a Windows Firewall, but it's been turned off for quite some time. I only have the Norton firewall going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users