Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:27 PM

As briefly as I can: PC is Gateway 256 MB Ram; 60 Gig HD; Original OS was ME.

Updated to XP about 6 mos ago and have been having problems ever since. (ME was no card, but this is nuts). After upgrading to XP Professional the first time, I went online (as instructed) to download updates (service packs, virus updates, etc) I started getting hit after hit of viruses detection messages which my Norton was telling me was being caught. Obviously not. I got off line as fast as I could and contacted Microsoft for upgrade discs to avoid going online again. I got them, but not before I started having a host of new problems (D drive not working; error messages left and right, spyware freezing me up, unable to enable Norton Autoprotect, etc) Then I tried uninstalling XP and using my ME restoration discs. Well, now the system wouldn't read those, either. After trying for two months to enlist Microsoft to help me correct the problems I was having (deleting spyware; deleting registry entries w/zero bytes, changing registry values, etc. etc) I inadvertently wiped out the hard drive with my Norton Rescue disks that I made under the ME OS. (I am now told that's a no-no.) The rescue was a failed attempt and I then got nothing but a DOS screen and C: prompt. C'est la vie.

After badering Microsoft, Gateway and my ISP, I obtained new Discs for everything. Full XP OS with service packs 1 and 2; updated ISP disc, updated Norton definitiion list and bought brand new printer compatible with XP. I had a friend come in who wiped the hard drive and started from scratch, or so we thought. (Apparently, "Format C: doesn't necessarily do that). He reinstalled XP Pro and the XP Pro Office Suite. I reinstalled Norton, updated the virus definitiions immediately and loaded on the new printer. Thus there was NOTHING supposedly incompatible on the PC.

I was able to get online for about three days. Now....nothing. That was a month ago. Had another friend download HijackThis for me and ran a scan. It found a "dotnet" file that they told me to delete. Problem is, I can't find it....anywhere. I ran a full search of the hard drive, checking all files including hidden and system folders. Nothing...nada....zip....zero.

Short of taking the CPU out to the yard and putting it out of my misery, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to find this "dotnet" file???? ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

KMF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:25 PM

Hi KMF & :thumbsup: to BC.

Hey, I'm sure we can help........

Follow THIS LINK in the HJT tutorial, do exactly what it says and someone will help you.
Sounds like you've had this problem for a while now so be patient as these ppl are all volunteers and they are not always online when you post your HJT log.

Good luck.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 03 March 2005 - 03:26 PM.

JTH

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

Thank you JTH. Have printed material to which you directed me and will follow up with that.

#4 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

Yea...try everything offered here before you really get poed at it. Its most likely a hijacker of some sort. Itll get fixed up. One thing I wanna recommend is another ram stick.

You only got 256 at this point...id say for a smoother running machine at least doubling it would be great. I just did and the difference is crazy. If your ambishous...ask and some one might know a good way to describe how...otherwise fiind a buddy who can or go to computer shop.

#5 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, JP. I have no problem rummaging around inside the little sucker, so I'll pick up some extra RAM memory and upgrade the little bugger. Will, hopefully, get things back to normal this weekend with the helpful hits I've gotten.

KMF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users