Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Power Supply Or Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 roffles92

roffles92

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

when I try to turn on the computer, the fan on the case and the computer light turn on for a second. I swapped out my current psu, hiper 480w, and replaced it with the one the computer originally came with. The computer then turns on, but the monitor doesn't show anything and there is no signal. Could my mobo be messed up? and also the hiper psu might be gone too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Video card or onboard? Reseat the card and double check all the wiring in case you missed a plug or knocked something loose. If you disconnected the monitor to change the ps, check the connection for bent pins and make sure the connection's solid
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 13 January 2008 - 01:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

What kind of computer is it and what all do you have installed? Drives, fans, Video cards etc..

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

so your pc doesnt work with either psu??

goodluck...
=)

#5 roffles92

roffles92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

im using the onboard card to try and diagnose the problem. its an emachines t3522 with an added ram and a geforce 7900gs. if i use my old one the computer actually turns on but the monitor stays off, whereas with the other psu nothing turns on.

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

ok for the psu that doesnt turn anything on - i beleive its cactus

with the "old one" remove one stick of ram, try to boot, remove vidcard(if there is onboard video), try to boot, etc do this, keep removing componenets until you are left with bare essentials.

goodluck
=)

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:21 AM

There is a good chance its the psu and the motherboard. E-machines are notorious for this problem, I have personally repaired several machines. Sounds like they are both shot :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 January 2008 - 05:22 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 roffles92

roffles92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

okay its not the ram, its not the hd, im using the onboard video card, stock psu, only thing i havent checked was the mobo or processor which im guessing is the problem. the "broken" psu im going thru warranty to get that fixed and im about to give up and just buy a new mobo/processor.

also for buying a new mobo/processor ive never had ne experience with it. do i need to get one that is compatible to my ram and psu?

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

what kinda ram do you have?what is tha max. watt rating your psu is rated at?

goodluck
=)

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

THIS is your computer. He/She has a Celeron D processor (most likely LGA 775 since the socket 478 does not have 64 bit support, not positive though) 512 MB of DDR2 PC4200 memory. The computer only shipped with a 300 watt power supply, if you have added ANYTHING even a cd/rom drive or a mild video card this is too much for the power supply. You will need to get a bigger one to prevent it from failing again. Start with the power supply and go from there remove anything you added and see if the computer boots. If it does upgrade to a larger power supply. If it doesn't you will need to get a new motherboard. Before you order a MB check the socket and make sure its LGA 775.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

sorry this is offtopic: but what exactly is emachines? is it a hp/compaq/dell/acer equivalent, of low quality? i have heard alot of flaming towards them (in regards to low quality/failing parts etc)
=)

#12 roffles92

roffles92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

emachines i think is owned by gateway? not sure but its horrid. been having problems since day 1. in regards to sneakycyber i took out everything that i added when im using the stock 300w psu. so the computer is how it came when i first bought it but the comptuer only boots and the monitor still gets a no signal

#13 roffles92

roffles92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

also if i need to get a new mobo what kind should i get?

psu: hiper 480w
video card: geforce 7900 gs pci-e
ram: 2x512 pc4200]

i need to make it compatible with these components? budget around 200-250

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

sorry this is offtopic: but what exactly is emachines? is it a hp/compaq/dell/acer equivalent, of low quality? i have heard alot of flaming towards them (in regards to low quality/failing parts etc)

eMachines used to be a stand alone builder of computers similar to Packard Bell. Both used proprietary hardware/software of questionable quality and ZERO customer support. After going out of business, I believe they were resurrected in the UK until Gateway bought them out. Although showing some improvement, they had a period where, when a power supply failed, it took out the whole system. There were quite a few
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

You can save some money and get more bang for the buck with an AMD processor instead of Intel
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 14 January 2008 - 09:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users